My Leghorns are SLEEPING their lives away...what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Apr 5, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my 3 white Leghorns. They have been “calling it a day” very early. Today I found them set for the night roosting in their coop at about 4:15 PM. It was still very light out at that time and there was still some light at 7:15 PM.

I have made some changes lately and I don’t know if that is affecting them. I took them out of another coop where they seemed to be harassing some of the other girls (particularly tugging at the head feathers of the Silkies) and put them with my 6 older RIR’s.

There was a little tension at first and a little chasing around but nothing that looked serious. No real pecking or anything else that I thought could be a reason for concern. They have been there over a week with no real trouble. I have observed them earlier in the day and they all seem to be going about their business not concerned about the others.

These particular Leghorns have never been the best layers and that hasn’t changed, either. But the way they are acting now, I don’t know if they will get enough daylight to continue laying eggs at all.

BTW, the RIR’s are still up and about until a much more normal time (much later than the Leghorns).

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I can do about it? Or will this straighten itself out over time?

Thanks! [​IMG] Genie

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    They may be heading in early to get a good spot on the roost before the "old timers" get in and take the best places.

3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:It is my fault, I should have explained that the RIR's are in their original coop and the Leghorns are in another coop that was previously unoccupied. The two coops share the same run but are quite a distance from each other. And there is no problem with either of them going in at night to roost in the other's coop. Thanks!

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Hmm, that is curious. My RSLs have always gone to bed earlier than the others, but their morning wake up light came early, too. However, since a couple hens from the other coop moved in, they have the same early wake up but stay out as late as they can. I recently moved the entire flock into that coop and still only the reds ever go to bed early. In their case, it could be age. The RSLs are 2 yrs old, all the others are 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by