my life as a turkey(great documentary)

Turkeylover4

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
i have heard that my turkey should only live 1 to 1 1/2 years is there a way to make her live longer,with out starving her.she is so sweet.

This subject has come up often, over the years. BB hens fare better than BB toms when it comes to survival. No BB ages "naturally", however, some lines of BB's are more/less prone to musculoskeletal & cardiac problems as they age, but only those few individuals who maintain them as pets find out which is which. Our BBB jake only made it over four months; thought we had treated the Spaddle Leg successfully - he flew off the back deck looking for all the world like a wild & free fella, then he landed :( and that was that for us on the BB learning curve.

A few members report that their hens have lived for 5 years, even fewer (one post I've read) report that a hen made it eleven years.

Make sure she has plenty of clean, soft bedding and a very low (just high enough she can walk under it) wide (2"x4") roost (if she roosts).
Weigh her once a week and provide Game Bird Maintenance (Purina's is 12.5% protein). Weigh feed before putting it out in the morning and again, after she roosts - this will allow you to alter amount of feed she gets daily to keep her wt. in check. Range her as often as possible (exercise is good).

With a bit of luck she'll be around much longer than the design specs require.

Best of luck!

(Hutto's book, Illumination In The Flatwoods, on which the Nature Documentary is based, is very good)

Last edited:
i have heard that my turkey should only live 1 to 1 1/2 years is there a way to make her live longer,with out starving her.she is so sweet.
o my she looks exactly like my Goldy!!! she died around 2 1/2, which is very long for this breed. im sorry to tell you, mine couldnt walk for the last 3 months of her life. that is a major possibility for yours, also. how heavy is she?

This subject has come up often, over the years. BB hens fare better than BB toms when it comes to survival. No BB ages "naturally", however, some lines of BB's are more/less prone to musculoskeletal & cardiac problems as they age, but only those few individuals who maintain them as pets find out which is which. Our BBB jake only made it over four months; thought we had treated the Spaddle Leg successfully - he flew off the back deck looking for all the world like a wild & free fella, then he landed
sad.png
and that was that for us on the BB learning curve.

A few members report that their hens have lived for 5 years, even fewer (one post I've read) report that a hen made it eleven years.

Make sure she has plenty of clean, soft bedding and a very low (just high enough she can walk under it) wide (2"x4") roost (if she roosts).
Weigh her once a week and provide Game Bird Maintenance (Purina's is 12.5% protein). Weigh feed before putting it out in the morning and again, after she roosts - this will allow you to alter amount of feed she gets daily to keep her wt. in check. Range her as often as possible (exercise is good).

With a bit of luck she'll be around much longer than the design specs require.

Best of luck!

(Hutto's book, Illumination In The Flatwoods, on which the Nature Documentary is based, is very good)
yes it is!!! i have the book and movie!

Back
Top Bottom