1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My life might be complete. I saw the egg squat.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kanga77510, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Went out to the coop this morning and saw Ethel, my EE, in The Act. She laid right in front of me. Coolest thing ever. I'm surprised she did it, but I guess once the egg is so far down the chute there's no stopping it.

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    That sounds really neat! [​IMG] congrats one your egg!!

I thought that I saw an Egg squat from my Wellie, and then she flew over the fence and we had to catch her. Not as fun! [​IMG]

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    cool! i've never seen it actually done but once i missed it by a second! chicken standing in the box, no egg, fill the water, turn around and there was an egg and no chicken! i was like "i'll be darned!" [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    hey Alaska gals! How's life up there. I'm kind of missing Wasilla right now, being down here in Texas.

5. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

The only time I saw it was reaching under a hen to get eggs and she just went at it and dropped it in my hand.

6. Big Red's Mom

Big Red's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Terry, Mississippi
    I have a White Rock that lays an egg just after the rooster gets off of her....She looks like she is gonna poo and walks all hunkered down then out comes an egg.........I find eggs on the ground in the coop everyday. The first time I saw this happen I thought the rooster had hurt her back........My husband was so excited........[​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It is neat watching them lay. My buttercup is the only one I haven't seen lay. She's a prissy thing and wants her privacy. She's busy molting right now, so no eggs from her.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Wow, that is cool.

I have seen them lay a couple of times, no camera with me on those trips.

I am learning that I need a camera strapped to me at all times, to catch these precious moments.

We have +5 F and snowing today in Rural Alaska. My chickens will be out playing in the new snow as soon as the door is opened!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by