1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Light Brahma is HUGE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen 2739, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    My Light Brahma is super huge! Is that typical.. She's about 10 weeks old and maybe 2X the size of my RIR and BO. She looks like a giant, bald eagle! [​IMG]

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Yup. My adult hens range in size from maybe 4-5 pounds to over 10 pounds for the Light Brahma ( don't have an accurate weight, but she outweighs the cat by several pounds). Very sweet and docile though!

3. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Yup. Very normal. My light brhamas are giants! The funniest thing is when then run from one end to the yard to the other! They crouch down and hobble back and forth!!! PRICELESS!

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Yup, my brahma's r the biggest too! It is so funny when they run/wobble around the run! [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Brahmas are huge. None of mine can fly at all due to their huge weight and they always sleep in a big contented heap on the floor as they don't bother with perches.

Oh, and, yes, the wobbling run is ridiculous....but they usually just saunter over for food Though the boys work up to a canter after the girls).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just wait until they hit two years old and get to their adult size.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

9. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I was shocked when I went out earlier this week and realized that my Brahma, Montana, is now twice the size of my oldest bird, Ginger. Ginger is about 2 weeks older than Montana and is a RIR. Montana is going to be huge!!! She used to be brave and would let me pet/touch her but now that they are outside all the time her and some of the others personalities have switched a bit. But I guess that is normal, they are more in their element being outside, not "cooped" up in a coop being man-handled all the time. Now they have the choice of being pet [​IMG] LOVE BRAHMAS!!!

10. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I didn't even realize how big chickens get. We went and dropped off our roosters at a place that was looking to rebuild their flock after fox attacks. Their hens were HUGE!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by