My Light Sussex hen died before my eyes.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lizrndiver, Dec 25, 2010.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I went out this morning to give my chickies a Christmas treat. Seedless red grapes.

As they were all jumping for them and chasing each other around, my beautiful light sussex hen jumped up and then
    fell to the ground on her side.

She laid on her side for a moment and then moved her legs weird. I reached over to try to see what was going on and
    it was obvious she was dying. When I finally reached her, she was limp and her eyes were still open with big round dilated pupils.
    I think she broke her neck because her head flopped around pretty freely when I picked her up. [​IMG]:

Any other ideas what might have happened? She was only 9 months old. I, of course , freaked out because I was planning to breed her this spring.

What an awful way to start my Christmas day.

Liz

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry to hear that. It always sucks when you lose one. As far as cause, it's hard to really say without a necropsy.

3. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:I'm so sorry to hear about your poor hen dying on Christmas Day. No time is good but on a Holiday just makes it seem worse.[​IMG]
    We lost a dog 4 yrs ago on Chirstmas Eve, it was really heartbreaking.
    If you're concerned something may be going on in your flock you can have a necrospy done at the UW in Madison WI. They wil do up to three birds for around $60 plus a $10 fee (can't remember what that is for)
    I learned this from Elana aka MeetTheFlockers, she had some done recently and they seemed to have done a good job.

You can freeze the hen, it won't hurt the necropsy if you decide to do one. Isn't a bad idea to keep her in case you should have some more bad luck and lose any more then should you decide to have a necropsy done you wouldn't have to pay for having just one done.

Wishing you a better ending to your Chrismas Day and a Happy Healthy New Year for you and your Flock !![​IMG]

4. RanchGranny

RanchGranny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    La Center, WA
    Sometimes chickens have heart attacks, too, especially when they're excited or scared. Some just have congenitally weak hearts & at some point, even regular every day excitement can take them out. I'm so sorry this happened~ I have a sick hen, too, which is why I'm on reading various posts in this heading today.

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Wow! I am so sorry![​IMG]

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I am very sorry for your loss [​IMG] I had a hen die unexpectedly not too long ago so I know this is difficult to go through.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for your loss ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by