My light sussex is laying large quantity of softshelled eggs a day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mombalou, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Mombalou

Mombalou New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi,

I am a newbie to chicken keeping. I have got my girls about a month ago aged between 19 and 21 weeks. They have all settled in well. Three of the chickens lay one egg a day and all is fine. However, my light sussex (Amelia) is constantly laying eggs, as if they are falling out of her. Although I get occasionally two good eggs in one sitting, she tends to lay two or three soft-shelled eggs a day. It seems as if they are falling out of her. Although she seems to be a happy bird, her tail feathers are almost always down is if she is holding the cloake shut. Yesterday, she put herself to bed quite early, and today she seems unwell. Has anyone else had problems like this? I feed them the usual pellets, grit and oystershells + their own shells sterilised and cumbled up and boiled vegetable shells. They have been wormed. What can I do? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Astrid

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    It seems like you are doing everything ok. My only question is why did you worm them? I know some people worm regularly. I don't. If I suspect worms then I do take some poop to my vet and she will check for worms. Also depending on the wormier you use there is usually a 2 week withdrawal period where you shouldn't eat the eggs. This also applies to meat birds where you shouldn't butcher the birds for a couple of week after they have been wormed. The label on your wormier should give the withdrawal period on it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  3. Mombalou

Mombalou New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    I have a plant based wormer no need to withdraw eggs. I got it with the kit. Thought I might just use it....Told ya, I am a newbie...But why on earth is she egg-bound like this? Will it stop?

Astrid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by