My light went out! Will they die?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tabatha_westcott, Feb 20, 2009.

1. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I have one of those little "flying saucer" incubator with 4 eggs in it. They have been developing pretty well so far. I candled them yesterday and 2 of them were moving around inside. (They have about a week to go before they hatch.) When I woke up this morning, the light was out and the eggs were cold. After they warmed up, I candled them again, one of them was still, but the other was just barely moving. Am I going to loose them for sure? I would hate to have come this far just to have my little guys die on me... [​IMG]

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

There's a good possibility that they will be fine, but you just never know with developing embryos. The cooling off may possibly delay your hatch by a day or so. Keep them in the bator and continue your incubation and hopefully you'll have some fuzzies in another week or so.

Good luck!!! [​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I agree with skeeter. They may be just fine. The hen gets off her nest to eat and drink. The eggs can feel cool to the touch when she gets back on them. Let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I once accidentally unplugged my incubator and didn't realize until the next day!!! The chicks hatched a day or two late. I candled one when I discovered what had happened and it wasn't moving. I was sure it was dead and I opened the egg. It was alive!!! [​IMG] I think your eggs wil be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by