my lil girl is broody......should i.......

DixieChickie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
VA
I have six of her eggs in the bator, with 100% development. Yesterday morning she layed, and we collected her egg. That afternoon I went to the coop to check waters and found her back in the nest box. I approached, and she screamed like a velociraptor (sp?) LoL She's been there since. So far she hasn't an egg under her. Should I give her back her one from yesterday? I was going to collect a clutch before I stuck it in the bator. She's young and only been laying for a month.

So your thoughts on if I should let her try? I know if she walks away from it, I can always stick it in the bator...I have a seperate hatcher, so staggering is not a problem.

I would put some fake eggs under her and when the eggs in the incubator hatch give those to her.

If you were planning on hatching more of her eggs anyway, I'd give it back to her.
Broody is way easier and IMO a higher percentage without electric usage and it takes a few days to break a broody.
I say that because I have a crappy incy with manual turning.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to see some more responses before deciding, think I'm leaning towards letting her have this one back. I'll just watch how she does. I have a shipment due in today of millie cochin eggs, lemon blue cochin eggs, and blue mottleds...and I think it would be good to know if she will actually set.
83755_2011-07-15_110051.jpg

they'll be more inclined to set if they have a job - like eggs in the nest. If they're thinking of being broody sometimes they'll wait till there are more eggs so if you have eggs coming, I'd put the other one under her.

Back
Top Bottom