My Littel Man Turned Mean On Me :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Plymouthroxgal, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG] My Golden Comet Rooster Was My Lil Button But The Last few days each Time I open Up The Coop door He runs as fast as he can In To It .
    Yesterday He Pecked at mY feet Than Jumped Up On Me and Scratched my leg Not To Bad, Does he Think Im a Rooster Or what?

2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    looks like hes going through puberty. he must be feeling an erge to protect his ladies.just step back and let him through:hugs

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Having gone thru this with one of my roosters, the best advice I can give you is to nip this behavior in the bud. It will only get worse if you don't.
    When he comes at you, stand your ground but don't flap your hands at him. Pick him up and hold him close. Walk around with him in your arms, doing chores or whatever. Don't put him down until he manages to stay perfectly still in your arms. If and when you give treats, don't let him be the first to get any. Push him away until at least some of your hens have eaten. Don't let him try to mate or otherwise harass the hens in your presence. You are the top "roo" and he needs to learn that the hens are yours, not his. It took me only two days to teach my bossy little roo this lesson and all is well now.
    Lastly, take a look at rooster-red's page on dealing with roosters:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My rooster have been sweet most of the time, but when they get feisty and jump at me I just wave my arms and jump back at them! I'm a BIGGER bird, LOL! it works!

5. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Wow, glad this topic came up. Mine has been bein' a meanie for a few days and I don't like it! He was my sweetie, would always jump on my lap and let me pet him. Same to the kids, he'd get on my son's shoulder alot and walk around w/ him while perched up there. Now he jumps at me/us whenever we come near. I've been shewing him away when he tries to hog the treats first, and not let the girls get any.... then he backs off.

So you say stand up to him, but I don't want to get clawed or pecked at!!! I've tried swooping him up to pet him and carry him, but he's so quick and defensive that I don't want to make him meaner. Maybe I'll put some work gloves on and get him!

Thanks for posting this!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, he's challenging y'all for the alpha position. Don't let him have it! Put on a long sleeved shirt (yeah, I know in this heat!) and some gloves and show him who's the boss. I miss having my roo as my sweet little lap chicken too, but on the bright side all my hens are much closer to me now that I'm the alpha.

7. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Life is too short to put up with a nasty rooster. When he comes at you, kick the stuffing out of him. Then chase him around the chicken yard a couple of times. Let him know who runs things there.

Rufus

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I'm going through this too. Interestingly Oliver has never gone at my husband or my 6 year old son, just me and my mom. I'm tired of worrying about being ambushed in my own backyard! I kick him away and stand my ground. It's only happened 4 times so far, but still! :mad: Sometimes he flies up on the deck rail and then I can pet him, pick him up and walk around with him and he's very calm. I've got a post looking for a new home for him, mostly because he crows a little too much for my neighborhood, but also because of this!

9. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:LOL! this is exactly what was happening! [​IMG]
    (I didn't kick him though) I think i traumatized the poor guy! LOL! The kids were laughing at me. [​IMG]
    I held him for quite awhile, I fed the girls treats, I walked around the yard w/ him, he refused to eat any treats from me.. and he grumbled at the girls when they'd eat 'em out of my hand.
    When i was done holding him, he ran all the girls into the coop, and stood guard at the door. I distracted him w/ an apple slice and one of the girls got out, so he went after her to round her back up and as I came near them, he ducked out of the way, instead of jumping at me... so I think I made some headway! After that he kept them all in the coop, maybe he thought I was going to go after them? [​IMG] But he wouldn't let them out, and he wouldn't move away from the door, so I locked 'em up early for the night. Then he crowed for 15 minutes straight like he wanted out. I opened the door up, and he wouldn't come out. So he's shut in for the night.... it's only 30 minutes earlier than they usually go in anyways.

I'll start out the morning tomorrow the same, hold him while the girls eat.... hopefully he calms his butt down a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by