My little black orp

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ozark hen, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Here is a pic of my pride and joy..a little black orp I hatched from corancher's eggs. Her stock is gorgeous and I am very lucky to have this little girl.
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Carrie, you need the black Orp cockerel I have right now out of Suede and Smoky, then. [​IMG]

3. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    She's adorable. Congrats! [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She looks rather surprised to haver her picture taken!

5. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:I would love it!!!!! But no way to get there and back with it. [​IMG] I am going to get some more black eggs from corancher when she has more. I told her about Timex my main blue orp roo from you. He is magnificent! I need to get some more quality into my flock so hopefully I can get some more eggs from you and corancher? I will have to take some recent pics of him this afternoon and post them here for you to see. He has lots of gold "over-lay" is what I call it. [​IMG] I need to replenish my b/b/s as I only have two blues and one splash hens. [​IMG] I do have 7 eggs in the incubator from the "red gene" from Miss Prissy's line. Hoping for some reds there. They are due to hatch in the next few days. [​IMG] My buffs are all scraggly looking. I will have to work on them, too.

6. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Pretty girl. I love BAs [​IMG] I want a BA roo but have to many already... [​IMG]

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:do you mean orpingtons? LOL Not sure what the BA is? LOL

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Carrie, the brassiness is something that Suede does have and it gets worse up until he molts and starts with new feathers. I love it when he's all blue again. Blues also tend to sun fade and he is always outside. Some of his sons inherit the trait more than others.

I think BA is Black Australorp, Carrie; she must have missed taht this was an Orp pullet.

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks I didn't think of the black australorp, they are lovely birds.
    Timex always has the gold overlay and I have never seen him molt. I was beginning to think roos didn't molt? I have not seen any of my roos molt, perhaps it is more subtle then the hens? I have been trying to take his pick and he does not want his pick taken at all. ha he takes off so I get part of him each time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by