My little blind boy.. what could have caused this? He is 4 months old.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerriliane, Jul 29, 2011.

1. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    This is my Bert Jr.
    His dad and mom were eaten for lunch by some coyotes in march.
    He and his two brothers hatched at the end of march and I noticed about a month ago that hes blind. He was almost quacking and I thought that was kinda strange and then I noticed him walking funny so I thought he might have been neurologically .. off.. but it turns out that his pupils look like my 15 year old dogs pupils. cloudy. and the quacking has stopped he just chatters with his brothers now.
    Could they be cataracts? His two brothers take care of him, they talk to him and show him where food is, and they rest in the grass with him, they're his little saviours. When he hears them talking he knows he's safe.
    He can eat and drink no problem I keep the food and water always in the same place, and if I have to move it, I bring him to it. He bobs his head around trying to get it and eventually does. He eats lots and lots, and drinks plenty as well.

I've attached the only photos I could get of him, he gets very nervous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have no idea how he could have become blind, probably a genetic defect. He's beautiful! I think your doing everthing you possibly can to make his life easier. I have a half blind chicken, and had to bring her to the house because I worry about her so much. Good luck with your special guy!

3. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Thanks!
    I was hoping to cure it.. I've heard of eye worms.. so I bought some ivermectin horse paste and fed it to all the chickens I could catch. But if it isnt that.. I just hope hes genetically blind...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by