My little boy is now a Man

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonjab314, Jul 30, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I was outside a little bit ago checking on the chickens when my hen squated for my rooster for the first time (that I'm aware of. The eggs have not been fertile yet). And then a little while later I looked out the window he was "dancing" with another hen. I hopefully soon will be able to start hatching my own eggs. They are Gold Laced Polish (and he mated with my mottled Houdan hen too). Does anyone know if he will mate with hens that are not laying yet? Only a few of them have started to lay. Also, how long after they mate do the hens lay? These are my first "adult" birds and I'm clueless.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, pullets and hens do not need to mate to lay eggs, y'know. So laying is not dependent upon that little biological process.

Pullets generally begin to lay eggs between 18 and 24 weeks, given a whole bunch of variables. Some hybrids start sooner, some breeds start even later than that.

Roosters don't care if hens are laying yet, they'll mate with 'em if they can get 'em to submit. (And some roosters will mate with pullets that do NOT submit, as well!)

The fact that your pullet squatted for your rooster is a good sign that she will lay within a couple of weeks. Or thereabouts. Or sooner. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My hens began laying within a week or so after squatting for ME...lol [​IMG] So at least the girls who are squatting for him should be laying real soon [​IMG]

4. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 16 week old Black Australorp roo has been trying to mate the pullets his age since he was ten weeks old. Of course they ran screaming from him then, and they still are. He does his little dance around, but they run and hide. This morning he was clucking along the fence separating the youngsters from the older hens, and one of them was clucking along with him on her side. He stopped, and she stopped, and faced him and raised her hackles. It was so funny! My older hens have never had a roo, so things should get interesting when I put them all together in late August.

I hope they don't start laying too soon because I don't have the nest boxes ready yet. I only have three for the ten hens who are now laying, and I have 19 pullets in the new group. Got to get started building, but it's so HOT! I'm a wimp!

[​IMG]

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Well a couple have already been laying. I was just wondering if he's fertilizing those hens or all the hens. Now I know. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by