My little chick ate 3 screws :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peejay, Apr 19, 2012.

1. peejay

peejay New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    my chick is not very active for around 4-5 days as it used to be earlier....we took it to the vet & he took an X-ray of its stomach. In the x-ray, it became clear that the chick ate 3 screws of 0.5cm each. Now the doctor said that these can only be passed through its poo, the chick cannot be operated as it is too small for that. He prescribed some medicines but the screws did not come out till now (after 3 days of medicine). Can anyone pls suggest a way thru which these screws could be extracted?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, I am sorry to about your chick. I don't think there is a way to extract the screws manually. What medicine did your vet give?

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    You might try some roughage - like oranges, berries, a little bit of spinach (not much it's really not good for them), uncooked oats. Don't chop it too finely. I really don't know what WILL work, but I think this is worth a try!

4. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    You might could try giving it some bread. They just swallow the bread pieces whole so it may catch a screw and push it out in some poop. Other than that I have no other ideas. I have had a pullet swallow a fencing staple and was worried to death but she ended up being fine. Good luck!!

5. peejay

peejay New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks for your suggestions.....will try the bread and oranges thing!
    i've been giving medicines suggested by a vet since last full week, these include "liquid paraffin" (2-3 times a day) and "betnesol syrup" (1-2 times a day). but it is still not recovering...dont know what to do!

6. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    I read somewhere someone's chickens regularly ate glass shards, so there's hope, but all I can add here is that hope. I'm very sorry and I hope your little one recovers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by