My little chick can't upright itself.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrandmrschicken, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    We have a two day old that is unable to upright itself when it gets knocked over. I have found him that way numerous times. Is this a symptom of a bigger issue? It seems to be getting weaker from stuggling.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Can it be fatal?

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:that is a symptom when baby chicks die (well mine did that) i had 2 chicks and got out of the brooder and i didn't notice i went to school and came back to home like 8 hrs and I saw him chirping loud and when i grabbed him he couldnt stand up the next day it was weaker and next day weaker until he died. but when he was dead i thougt, i put him back in the brooder and in a couple of hrs he REVIVED or he just wasn't dead. But i did lost 15 chicks before i knew what to do.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are the chick's legs spraddled or is it falling over backward? Give us more details and pics if you can.

4. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    [​IMG]

Here's the little guy, staying warm, napping, in my hand, in the sun. He does have 4 toes on one foot and three on the other if that helps and is now 2 days old

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Is he still alive???? can he open its eyes?? when you put him in the brooder does he fall backward?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by