MY LITTLE CHICKENS WAS ATTACKED BY NASTY RAT NEED HELP FOR INJURY CHICKENS AND GETTIN RID of rats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ljblue, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ljblue

ljblue Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    This just make hate rats more[​IMG] I went outside all chicken were fine early in the coop tonight then about 10:30 i went outside two black chickens had bloody legs and my blue roo had head down a hole been pull by rat and was eating the head of my roo [​IMG]so angry and sad right now. I need advice how do I get rid of this vermen.[​IMG] I have other pets so i am worried about using poison.How do i take care of my chicken legs i am worried about infection cause i know that rats carried alot of diseases. Any advice would help thanks

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Wow I feel so sorry for your chickens and you. I would move the chickens to a different coop while you poison the other coop with rat poison. [​IMG]

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    ok thanks they are in the house right one in a box one is walking aroud a little but other hasnt yet i worried about damage to the leg and infection they just ate and drink just a little when they come out of shock. i am worried about others in the coop during this week they had small injurys on a few of them I was thinking that one of chickens was turning mean.. boy was i wrong[​IMG] I am so worried I cant sleep

5. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    What kind of set up do you have?
    Could you close the chucks in at night with a sliding door?
    Is there a pen you could keep them in with rat proof wire until you kill the little b*ggers.
    What other pets do you have?
    The tunnel type rat traps are the best bet if you don't have any other small animals that can gain access to the tunnel.
    It is something you are going to have to do constantly as there is never a lone rat!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keep your chickens away from the coop for a couple of days and set out your standard rat traps just before dark, check them the next morning. Rats cant resist cheese set on the traps.
    [​IMG]

7. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    Quote:
    • What kind of set up do you have?
      Could you close the chucks in at night with a sliding door?
      Is there a pen you could keep them in with rat proof wire until you kill the little b*ggers.
      What other pets do you have?
      The tunnel type rat traps are the best bet if you don't have any other small animals that can gain access to the tunnel.
      It is something you are going to have to do constantly as there is never a lone rat!

I have mid size coop in an old horse pen field we fix the holes the rats that we saw with chicks wire or fill the hole back up with dirt.I only of the one coop and other coop we are building is right beside my one we got now.We have 4 cats outside and we have dogs in the same horse pen field .I hate rats and I know they never a lone rat I think it doesnt help when we have junk yard next door and they can eat feed from me and the neighbor animals.I think i try the traps just have to watch that my animals dont get around the traps .

8. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    the tunnel traps may work better then. they are a metal box with the bait and trap inside. i use mars bar in mine.
    you could try putting broken glass down the edges of the run but you would have to keep your animals away. the rats would bleed to death as they have no clotting agent. cruel but so is poison

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by