MY LITTLE CHICKENS WAS ATTACKED BY NASTY RAT NEED HELP FOR with INJURY CHICKENS AND GETTIN RID OF R

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ljblue, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ljblue

ljblue Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    This just make hate rats more[​IMG]I went outside all chicken were fine early in the coop tonight then about 10:30 i went outside two black chickens had bloody legs and my blue roo had head down a hole been pull by rat and was eating the head of my roo[​IMG]so angry and sad right now. I need advice how do I get rid of this vermen [​IMG] I have other pets so i am worried about using poison.How do i take care of my chicken legs i am worried about infection cause i know that rats carried alot of diseases. Any advice would help thanks

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm so sorry to hear that.

I would inspect your coop for places of entry. Then remove the feed from coop and run as well at night.

I'm sure others will have tips for how to kill them without endangered your birds.

Good luck.

3. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    Thanks. My brother and I close up the entries that we saw just hope it works.

4. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    We had a rat problem after the 2 properties either side of us were abandoned. We used a generic form of D-Con, putting the boxes in several places the chickens couldn't get to, and upon opening the coops in the morning we did a search of the yard looking for rat bodies. Nasty business, nasty thing to do but I will NOT have rats in my yard. And yes, they are attracted to chicken feed.

Injured legs: coat with antibiotic ointment at least once a day. Consider Penicillin G injections if you're really woried about infection.

5. arlock

arlock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2013
    Michigan's "thumb"
    This past Fall I had a problem with rats. I have a 24x40 (guessing) shed with 4 pens in it, one had White chinese geese and the other had about 30 chickens who were a LH/EE/NH/BR/RIR hybrid, Neither of which were small or docile birds. I then used one of the vacant pens for a small hatch of coturnix quail. They did great the first week. Then week two I was losing a couple a day, so I assumed it was a contagion of some sort, and started giving them vitamins, electrolytes in their water, coccidiostats in their feed, etc. I then found a dead rat in a half full water bucket....Whew, now I know what it is, and it's dead. Score! Nope, there is more...Needless to say, the rats won.sort of. They ended up doing the quail in before I could manage to ready up alternative housing. I ended up spiking their kool-aid, and ultimate victory was mine, I hope. This all in an area where I had never seen a rat in 20 years (possums and coons, yes) had a herd of big, mean, sadistic barn cats in an open barn 100 feet away. Needless to say my generalized belief that all animals should be treated humanely is waived for rats

6. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    Quote: [​IMG]

Thanks CottonGinWaste.sorry to hear about ur birds Arlock I glad you got the rats. I have lost 3 birds and have 2 injury birds because of the rats.[​IMG]We are going get traps this coming weekend to try to care of their numbers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by