My little cochin roo! From 3 weeks to 3 months.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CrazyForCochins927, Dec 11, 2010.

1. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Started out with what was supposed to be all pullets. But we were somewhat suspicious of the behavior of this little one. A little too brave- even with the camera.

[​IMG]

Then the chick started getting waddles and a comb way before the others...

[​IMG]

And it started being brave with the the neighbors cat, so we started to think he was a he...

[​IMG]

So now we are sure he is a boy. Here he is hanging out with his women

[​IMG]

And here he is today. He is such a sweet boy! We are so glad we have him! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope everyone enjoys his pictures!

2. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Adorable! He looks like my little cochin roo. [​IMG] I just love him. Cochins are so sweet, aren't they?

3. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Quote:They definitely are! Do you have any pictures of them? I am curious what they will look like when they are older. [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Ain't that something!

5. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    I sure do! But I know have two, and the red/orange one might not be a pure one. But here,
    This is my baby!!! His name is Colonel [​IMG] He's the one that looked like your splash when he was younger. Then he got some yellow in him and grew a big comb and wattles. (Which is a pain to protect from frostbite in the winter, ugh!! lol) He's a year and a half old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was when he was sick [​IMG] (had a kidney and sinus infection but I took him to the doctor and fed him meds through his beak twice a day and he got better [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

This is Ginger. She's 7 months now.
    [​IMG]

The entire flock:
    [​IMG]
    The white is a silkie of course lol, the splash is colonel, red/orange is ginger and the black/blue ones are Colonel's and the silkie's offspring [​IMG]

Ohh! Here! I found a picture when Colonel was younger
    [​IMG]
    Twins! [​IMG] Lol

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  6. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    What gorgeous birds!Wow, they do look a lot alike! [​IMG]

I am glad to see that others enjoy their birds as much as I do. Good to know I am not crazy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    Quote:Thank you, you too!! [​IMG]
    I just love my chickens lol.
    By the way, I am from the Green Bay area, too. Small world!

8. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Are your chickens cochins? Are they bantams or standards?

9. CrazyForCochins927

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    We are actually in West DePere, but it is easier to say Green Bay. Are you ready for the snow we are supposed to get tonight? How are your chickens doing in the snow? Mine won't go out in it. I tried pushing them out and they would have none of it. I tried scattering bread around, and nothing. I even brought Dexter (the rooster) outside and he pretty much took one look and went right back in. [​IMG]

10. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    The blue splash and the orange one are bantam cochins,
    the white one is a silkie,
    and the blue/black ones are silkie cochin crosses. Parents are my silkie and splash cochin [​IMG] they're all bantams

They are actually doing pretty good in the snow! My first batch of chickens (they were silkies) wouldn't go outside for around 3 days lol but I went out there today and they were walking in it to get to me. They still won't stay outside, they prefer the nice warm coop. [​IMG] Or sitting in my lap lol.

Try putting some hay down in your run (if you have a lot of extra hay). It will melt the snow and the chickens will go outside, hopefully! Is this your first winter? You have to watch out for frostbite on the combs too! I have to put vaseline and extra virgin olive oil on my two roos' combs. One already has it pretty bad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by