My little coop with the big green roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by itsachicken, Jun 18, 2010.

1. itsachicken

itsachicken Chirping

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'm not all that computer savvy and I've been wrestling with the whole "image upload" thing trying to create a member page and the like. Hopefully, I've got it figured out. I apologize in advance if there isn't a picture attached [​IMG]

This is my little coop with an herb garden on the top. I used a piece of pond liner that I found somewhere (can't imagine where I would have been to stumble across a giant discarded pond liner) to waterproof the garden box. It slopes, very gently, to the back where there's a 3/4 in pipe, with 1/8 in holes drilled in the bottom, running across the back. The pipe is covered with old window screen and gravel. I also buried a section of old soaker hose in a loose spiral for irrigation. So far, everything seems to be working great. It's draining well but doesn't seem to dry out too quickly. With all the rain we've been having I've only had to water it twice, and the first time was to check the "irrigation system". It is truly amazing what a difference the green roof makes on the air temperature inside the coop. I wish I'd made the whole thing a bit bigger. My math skills are even worse than my computer skills and I made the very rookie mistake of not taking feeders and waters and the big gaping whole in the floor to allow them access to the lower level into account when figuring square footage. Anyway, we're stuck with it, for now. At least, until I can design a better one AND get it approved by better half. Until then, they free range all day, every day, so they aren't unhappy.
    [​IMG]

2. Animallover606

Animallover606 Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    Nice idea does it make it cooler or hotter might try this for mine....

3. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Songster

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Oh gosh!! i love it!! its soo cool and adorable!!! [​IMG] Good luck!~

4. itsachicken

itsachicken Chirping

Jun 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    animallover--it makes it cooler. I haven't taken any thermometer readings to know exactly how much, but when I was cleaning the coop at 3 o'clock this afternoon it was noticeably cooler than the outside and, i think, even cooler than the shaded areas of the yard.

Thanks, Leah!

5. tasymo

tasymo Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Awesome! I totally want to make one of these!!

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That is awesome!

7. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Songster

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    good idea!

8. downstownlady

downstownlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    WOW!!! GREAT IDEA!!! I think I might borrow that idea if you don't mind...as my coop is still a bit under construction...now to get out the graph paper!!!

9. Barbmcdon

Barbmcdon In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I have a green roof on mine as well, besides keeping the heat down in the summer it will keep warmer in the winter!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love your green roof - what a great idea!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by