My little crew is 10 weeks old today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cetawin, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They are spending their first day outside in the garden area, which is fenced, and they have already found a few late green beans to attack. This find led to several scuffles over the green bean.

Thor (Suede's son) and my EE/Cochin cross disputing the possession of the green bean

[​IMG]

My Delaware, Cannonball, voices her opinion of the fact that the found lone green bean was not being shared or merely given to her

[​IMG]

speaking of Delawares...I have two brats who took the time to attack my shoes laces while one held my foot down

[​IMG]

when I tried to move said foot I got "the look"

[​IMG]

She is a bossy bit of goods anyway...she is always into everything or looking for something to get into

[​IMG]

This pretty girl is Athena...she is the daughter of Suede and Smokey

[​IMG]

Thor came over to talk to me while I was sitting there watching them...he is a sweet shy boy except when I am alone and ignoring him

[​IMG]

My first crowing boy of the bunch...our BA/EE cross, he is a real sweetie

[​IMG]

They are a hoot. They spend their days together but because of the size of the blue orps, they sleep in separate small coops. Thor, Athena and the 2 delawares sleep in one and my 4 BA crosses sleep in the other. so far this is working out well, the coops are side by side in the garage so the boys see each other and then they spend their days together so we have not had much bickering between the boys, aside from the normal scuffles.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Gorgeous chickens Lady Hawk, just beautiful! [​IMG] Cannonball is quite the HEN! (Sorry to your DH!) [​IMG]

I won't show you any of mine yet- at 3 weeks they look like baby ostriches and velociraptors.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:hahaha mine are through that stage thankfully...they looked rough! They are doing so well. It is a little windy today but not overly cold and they are enjoying their huge 15 x 40 foot play area. LOL It should be fun trying to round them up to go back inside tonight...they had been staying in their tractor during the nice days but they are too big (well Thor and Athena plus the other 6 are) for a 4 x 4 tractor now.

PS: He has now accepted, reluctantly, that Cannonball is a girl but he still holds out hope for Fattie being a boy suddenly. LOL

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Great pictures... I love the captions you added! Why wouldn't Cannonball get the last bean?? I hear you about the tag-teaming shoe stuff, that job usually falls the our pair of dominiques. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Well because despite her belief that everything is hers, the other 7 do not hold the same belief. LOL I love my Dominique, I only have 1.

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Aww... VERY cute!!! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Very pretty [​IMG] I look at my chickens and remember fondly them being little like that.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look fabulous! Sorry I missed your call today, m'dear, but we were moving everyone around and adding to a pen. Isaac is now the main flock leader in the main coop. Dutch is in the former Delaware coop with all of the BR hens, the Ameraucanas, Shadow and a few of the others I'm trying to fatten up after their molt--those will go back to the main coop when they are looking more like they should.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I figured you were out or busy so I just left a message my dear. Aren't they beautimus? Thor is such a sweet boy. Very shy if anyone else is around or if I "try to grab" him...but he will come right up to me for pats and chest scratches...especially if I am ignoring him. LOL Athena is very curious so she will come over to see what I am doing if someone else is over near me but not a lap chicken by any means. She is so beautiful though, I could not be happier. She has that big fluffy butt and the girth of what I expect an Orp to have.

Now those two delawares...well let's just say I have to fight my way out of the door because they both charge after me expecting to go with me....and into everything! I had to "delaware proof" the garden area today before I put them in because I knew better than to not do it. They climb all over me, Cannonball rides on my shoulder while Fattie sits on my forearm when I take them from the garage to the garden. They are both are mess! I love em dearly.

10. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Congratulations! I'm so happy to see them doing well!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by