1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my little crow?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ruby55, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ruby55

Ruby55 New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    hi all from a long time lurker who has learned so much from reading all the info on this great site.I've had chickens for the last 6 years,a mixed flock with 2 roosters,20 hens and a 'crow''.
    We've had a problem over the years from people throwing their unwanted hens and roos over my 8 foot compound,mainly roos which i've managed to rehome.1 that was thrown over was some kind of gamecock which nearly killed my 5yo sweet L sussex boy but after weeks of TLC he recovered that goodness.
    6 weeks ago 3 birds were thrown into my place,probably mixed breeds,maybe part australorp or something like that,i'm prerry sure the 2 older ones are hens but the smallest 1 has me stumped as to what it is and its gender.It was hard feathered,not fluffy when it arrived and had a pale face and tiny comb which over the last week has gotten redder although still tiny.It has long very thin legs,short neck and body and is the oddest thing i've seen,hence we call it crow,saying that,it also is very sweet with melting coal black eyes so i'm hoping you all can help me out by identifing h/she.my pictures aren't that good as its snowing here in the UK but here goes,thanks for any help you can give me as my little 'crow' has wormed its way into my heart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its a hen a good side shot of the whole bird would help

3. Ruby55

Ruby55 New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    Thank you, I was hoping it was female :) I'll try and get a sideshot of it tomorrow to make sure.it was the long legs that was making me unsure even though they are the thinnest legs I've ever seen lol

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet and a langshan
    [​IMG]

5. Ruby55

Ruby55 New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    That's it exactly! :DI'm so grateful to you both, maybe my little ugly crow will grow up to be beautiful after all.

6. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm glad you know what your little "Crow" is. Please update us! :)

7. Ruby55

Ruby55 New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    now that i know what she is i've given her a new name,meet Crowella [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dani0304

dani0304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2012
    She is beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by