My little Dot is dead...what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texaschickmom, May 13, 2010.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    What a sad and perplexing start to my morning. I went out to let all the chickens out and noticed my 12-week-old ancona, Dot, just sitting in the very back corner while everyone else is out pecking, drinking, etc. I went in and picked her up looking for any signs of injury, etc. put her back down and she staggered back to the corner again. I picked her back up to take her inside to isolate and observe her better and by the time I got in the back door she had a slight convulsion and died right in my arms. [​IMG] Last night when I checked on them before going to bed she was up on the roost with her friends just as normal as anything. So this happened literally overnight. There's no signs of trauma, she had been behaving like a normal pullet. Does anyone have any ideas? I hope it's not some disease that's going to wipe out the others. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. skya328

skya328 Songster

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have any idea what could have happened. I had a young roo that did that a couple months ago, too.

I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I hope someone is able to give you some ideas.

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Songster

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    How high is your roost? It's a shot in the dark, but I have heard a few stories of young chickens falling off and hurting themselves. Maybe she hit her head?

I am truly sorry. [​IMG]
    There is little I hate more than an unexplainable death of one of my critters. How can it be fixed if the cause is unknown?! [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am so sorry you lost Dot. Without a necropsy I'm afraid you will never know for sure. I have had the same thing happen to some of mine, had necropsies performed and the results have been varied from cancer to ruptured tumors. Unfortunately, chickens die suddenly from all kinds of things and without a necropsy it can remain a mystery. So sorry for your loss.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So sorry to hear about your little Dot. I think sometimes these things happen and we never ever find out what went wrong. Perhaps she had a stroke....or heart attack.

Hugs to you.
    Sharon

6. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    I am so sorry to hear that.. I am a new chicken raiser and hearin all this about chicken just diein makes me so sad and nervious. I am now checkin on my chicken every few hours. Cause I did not get them from a hatchery they showed up at my door peckin to get in and we decided to keep them so I dont know what kind of enviorment they are coming from.

Quote:

7. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thank you all for your support and caring. It takes someone who loves chickens to really understand what it's like to lose one, and so suddenly and mysteriously. I buried her under a young pine tree in the woods and pray that she won't be joined by any of my other girls. Thank you, again.

8. NWChicks

NWChicks Songster

Mar 3, 2010
    Granite Falls, WA
    I lost one this week myself so I understand your hurt. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by