my little egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimice, Sep 23, 2011.

1. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    My barred rock hen just laid her first egg! It is way smaller than the other eggs that I have gotten from different hens. Is it normal for the first egg to be smaller? Either way, I am super excited about it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats on getting your first egg from her! [​IMG] It's perfectly normal for the first eggs that she lays to be small. I had some that were as small a round as a dime from our Silkies this year.

3. kimice

kimice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    That would not make much of an omlet! Hopefully they get bigger. Thanks for the response and the good news. My husband ,who knows even less about chickens than I do, asked me if we had to throw it out. [​IMG]

4. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I would say this is normal this happened with my RIR but after about 2 weeks they get bigger and now that they have been laying for about 6 weeks they are about a large to a jumbo just be patient.

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Just too cute!
    I've got about 4 weeks before
    I expect my first egg, EVER!
    [​IMG]

6. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Yeah my three pullets started out with cute small eggs and now just 5 weeks into laying their eggs are pretty much normal store bought egg size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by