1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Little Giant Incubation Journal **UPDATED** **PICTURES** **VIDEO**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SarahFair, Apr 22, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hi all! [​IMG]
    Welcome to my Little Giant Incubation Journal!

Ive just been getting so ancy about hatching SOMETHING...ANYTHING!
    Last night I bought a Little Giant from TSC for $41 . I opted not to go with the egg turner cause it was an extra $40 and after reading all the unhappy comments with the Little Giant I didnt want to throw TOOOOO much into it. [​IMG]

Well I brought it home last night read the instructions from cover to cover (really side to side [​IMG]) then watched an instructional video on youtube..

The spot I chose for my LG was a bathroom we never use. There are no windows. I set the screen down on it and filled it with water. I set the thermometer in the middle of the left window. I plugged it in turned the dial all the way up and went and ate some pizza.
    Once I was done I went back to check on it and it was a little over 100 degrees. I turned the knob ever so slightly. It dropped to about 97. Turned it up slightly and it moved to 99 degrees.
    Its been at 99 degrees since 8 pm last night. Steady going.

Wish me luck in steady temps!
    I plan to study this incubator for about a week before I put anything in it.
    (but idk if im going to be able to wait!! [​IMG])

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Good luck and I look forward to reading about your progress.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I've got one going right now too. The temps haven't been as bad as most that I hear. I mean, you really need to keep an eye on them, no matter what. I just stopped turning my quail eggs today. Their hatch date should be on Saturday? We'll see. I don't know how many are furtile. Keep us posted on your attempt.

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Good luck with your hatchings. I have 2 forced air LG's in the spare bathroom too. They run steady at 99.5 and have great hatches from them. The temp in that room stays pretty steady so I guess that helps. No problems with humidity either.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    b.hromada :

I've got one going right now too. The temps haven't been as bad as most that I hear. I mean, you really need to keep an eye on them, no matter what. I just stopped turning my quail eggs today. Their hatch date should be on Saturday? We'll see. I don't know how many are furtile. Keep us posted on your attempt.

Good luck with a 100% hatch! What do you raise quail for?

reallemons1 :

Good luck with your hatchings. I have 2 forced air LG's in the spare bathroom too. They run steady at 99.5 and have great hatches from them. The temp in that room stays pretty steady so I guess that helps. No problems with humidity either.

Did you block your vents? I closed them off and slid something heavy over the vent to block it. My bf LOVES the coldness so the air is always being turned on when he gets home (and then off as soon as he walks out the door for work [​IMG])​

6. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I just purchased a LG yesterday from TSC. I plugged it in late last night, added the water and it came right up to temperature in a few minutes.

I turned the ac in the house way down and cooled the house down to 60 degrees. I then turned the heat way up to 80 degrees.
    There was no change in the temp in the bator.

I have a digital thermometer that I am going to put in today that keeps track of the higest temp reached and the lowest temp during a certain period of time. I will then see if their is any fluctuation in temp during the course of the day.

My buddy has been using one for a year now and has never experienced any problems at all except the time he put it in his building and the temp rose and fell dramatically. It was also very drafty in the building. He still hatced 75% in the drafty building.

I have been using a very old round hovobator this Spring with a mercury thermometer. I have had decent hatches with the old one. I have not even kept track of humidity. Just filled up another ring and added a wet papertowel the last 3 days.

I am curious to see if the LG is as bad as everyone says.

Darin

7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I left the vents open, but that's what works here. May not be the same for you. In this house each room has a thermostat for heat so the incubating room can be set warmer than the others. We haven't used the AC yet.

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I went and bought this hygrometer this morning at walmart.

I placed it in the opposite window of the thermometer that came with the LG. I reads one degree higher and a humidity of 49%.
    Temps read 100(LG thermometer) and 101 (hygrometer)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  9. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I put my peafowl eggs in this morning at 6am.
    The temp was 100% with a humidity of 47%. The BYCer I got the eggs from (thanks!) said she hatched at the normal 60% and got watery hatches. Im kinda fearing this so Im keeping mine between 45%-55%. Bad Idea?

I watched the temp in my little giant for nine days and the temp fluctuated between 99 - 101 and humidity mostly in the 50s.

Peafowl went in with xs up this morning .
    Planning on turning 3x a day at 6am 12pm and 6pm.

10. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Its not looking good guys.
    The highest temp I have gotten was 103 and the coolest was 96. Im not sure how long they sat at these temps cause it was in the middle of the night.
    The boyfriend wont stop messing with the AC.
    [​IMG]
    Ive told him time and time again to leave it at ONE temp so my incubator can adjust!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by