My Little Girl is a Hot Mess...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenLittle74, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ChickenLittle74

ChickenLittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I went to check on my girls and roo this morning and found something quite disturbing. One of my hens has been losing feathers right above her tail for about the past week. Well, today I had a horrific surprise. All of the feathers are missing... with a large bald spot Her new quills are bloody and one of her tail feather "nubs" is quite prominent, almost swollen. Her skin around the area is infected with yellow pus and even looks a little bruised.

Could it be molting, pecking or our roo's spurs? My seven hens and one roo are all about 9 months old and raised together. I cleaned off the area and put Neosporin on the area. Do I need to separate her? She's otherwise very mobile and eating and drinking.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Concerned Mother Hen

*I forgot to mention that they have an 8x8 coop and 8x35 foot covered run.*

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the "nub" is an oil glad. something might have tried to get her and got just feathers.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Usually, chickens don't experience their first big molt until their second Autumn. Sounds to me like she's being picked on.....If you have time, just set and watch what's going on in the coop and run....You might even see which hen is being agressive towards her. There are two things you can do. First I would spray some Blue Cote on her back, and really cover that bare spot with it. It will help it heal, plus, chickens get very excited when they see blood. The Blue Cote is bright blue, and that is a color chicken's really aren't interested in, so it will cover the spot, and make it less noticeable to them.

Another great idea is getting a hen saddle, and after you spray that, put a cute little saddle on her, so the feathers can grow back, and it will shield her from the hen that is pecking her.

Happy Holidays,
    Sharon

4. ChickenLittle74

ChickenLittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you for the advice!

I have separated her and she is resting comfortably in a dog crate in our garage. I ran to Tractor Supply and picked up some Blu-Kote and we'll see how she does!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are welcome! I bet she'll do just fine.

Quote:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by