my little girl is sick again with a fever...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by maplesky7, Feb 21, 2009.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    So last night I had my neice babysit...I haven't been out in years. I went to a play with a few friends and my mom.

When I got back my 7 yr. old was sweaty and hot. Sometimes she gets kind of like that when she's about to have a night terror, so I kind of uncovered her and rubbed her head and whispered to her that I loved her and mommy was home. She stayed asleep. Today everyone stayed on the couch and watched tv...it was snowing and all...couldn't get my neice home until the roads cleared.

She did start coughing again and has congestion. Just a bit ago I checked on her. She fell asleep on the couch. She was burning up again. I took her temp with the under the arm thermometer...my dr. said you add a degree with those...so her temp. would be 102.3*

I just gave her some children's tylonol...she's crying. She doesn't feel good.

She missed the whole week before Valentine's day because of 2 virus's the dr. said, the flu bug and a tummy virus...had been back to school a week but still coughs some...and now it seems as if she never really was over it and now the fever is back. The fever took 3 days to break last time. It just wouldn't go away...I only had ibuprofen for children, says fever reducer but it just wouldn't kick it. So I had to take 2 sick girls to the store to get the children's tylonol and that seemed to work.

So a little before 8 pm...I gave it to her.

and my 3 year old's temp. is 99.3 and she's being rather fussy and has the sniffles too...but I have not given her anything.

I have the cold air humidifier on in the bedroom for them.

I just am so tired of this crud...what am I going to do?
    Is this indeed a virus so we have to ride it out? or do you think it is something else?

so no Sunday school and church tomorrow...and I just can't stand her missing anymore school. We are trying to catch up on her homework as it is...but she can't go feeling miserable.

big sigh.

thanks for praying and letting me get it off my chest. It's so hard to see your little ones not feeling good.

Love in Christ,
    Gretchen

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    G, sounds like something besides a virus going on. Maybe a continuation of what she had before that's progressed to infection?
    Is her nose running or is she coughing up anything? What color is the mucus?
    I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Kat

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    This is what I've always done with my kids when they're sick. I try my best to let them run a fever as long as it isn't too high (below 103) and they aren't too miserable. Their body is heating up trying to kill the virus and the way I look at it, if I keep bringing their temp down, then their bodies aren't able to do it's job. If she's able to sleep without medicine and her fever isn't too high, try to let her run it for a while and give her body a chance to fight the nasty foreign invader. [​IMG]

Oh and BIG [​IMG] to you!

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    It's all stuck up in her nose and her cough sounds kind of yucky but I don't see it.

and now I'm certain my 3 year old has what ever "it" is too...she feels warmer.

and my thermometer decided to go on the blitz...i just gave it new batteries.

Thanks Kat.

because green means virus and yellow means bacteria? is that what I remember? it may just be clear...that's what i saw from my 3 year old earlier...but it's just stuck up in there and they sniff it up and hardly blow any out.

me,
    g

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ahh! dang Gretch!....[​IMG] the babies are sick again?? [​IMG]

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    see...and that's what I thought too...but one time the nurse said, yeah, but she'll feel a lot better. ?

Zoe was crying tonight and coughing and I felt so bad.

The 3 year old, Ava, she's just plain onry. But she woke up a couple of times last night crying and when I'd go in there...she was asleep...but I noticed the congestion and her having a hard time breathing. My poor little girls.

me,
    g

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    maple anytime the mucus is colored its not a good sign..it means infection....green is bad and grey is REAL bad...

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:yeah...and I got a real sore neck....hope that's not a sign.

I feel like it never really went all the way away, you know?

Zoe would run and get excited and make that cough get all agitated...or just her laughing would bring it on.

hmmmph. yucky germs.

hugs,
    g

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Quote:I dont' see any on them...just clear fluid from Ava, 3, earlier...and I just had Zoe blow and just a tad bit of clear came out...but it's congested and stuck.

why is grey real bad? I won't tell you what I've been spittin up lately...it's whiteish yellow. oops, i told.

me,
    g

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I dont' see any on them...just clear fluid from Ava, 3, earlier...and I just had Zoe blow and just a tad bit of clear came out...but it's congested and stuck.

why is grey real bad? I won't tell you what I've been spittin up lately...it's whiteish yellow. oops, i told.

me,
    g

its a sign of a bad infection...ooh, your spittin up also....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by