My little girls are roosting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickychicks, Jun 26, 2010.

1. chickychicks

chickychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Denver, CO
    The past couple of nights I have found my girls (oops, and one boy) roosting in their brooder. I have a 2x2 up about 14-18 inches off the ground and they love it! By morning they are usually huddles on the floor [​IMG] I love observing how instincts kick in -- amazing!
    [​IMG]

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cute birds....I watch mine roost sometimes and it is amazing how they know what to do.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Isn't it funny!? I went out to check on how my little flock were doing after I integrated my new FBCM the first night, and almost panicked when I didn't see them all huddled on the floor together like they usually are. I looked up in the roost area, and there they were! They were making the FBCM sleep in the floor of the roost, but she has since graduated to roost-worthy status. Too funny!

4. casumm

casumm Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's awesome! Mine seem to knock over their thermometer and roost on that every night. How did you mount the 2X2 in the dog crate? (We are moving into the crate this week. Plastic brooder got small in a hurry!)

-chris

5. chickychicks

chickychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Quote:We had a left over section of wood that "just fit" -- basically I crammend it into the ends of the dog crate - just take a variety of sizes and see how you can make it fit. They love the higher rooster DAY and NIGHT. Very fun1

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    So cute!

7. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Cute [​IMG]

Mine liked to roost when I had them in a dog crate too. the roost was only a few inches off the ground, but it was still a roost [​IMG]
    Now that they are in the big coop (at 6 weeks) they like to huddle up in a corner though, think it might be too intimidating for them to sit on the big grown up roosts yet.

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Naw, they are just being teenagers. Obstinate.

My little ones have discovered all kinds of places to roost in their new coop, most of which will disappear as they get larger simply because they will be too big.

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] They are adorable! Ain't it amazing how they can sleep like that? I always expect one of them to fall, but they seem to be able to keep their balance ~ as long as there's no interruptions.

10. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I know my rescue flock couldn't wait to get on their roosts. They'd never seen one before, but loved them after the first rooster figured it out. They're on their roosts more than the ground at times.
    The chicks from that group haven't figured it out but they're caged seperately... I can't wait to do a night count and find them on the poles!

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by