my little girls got a prolapse ,,please HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by john20000, Aug 17, 2010.

1. john20000

john20000 New Egg

Apr 15, 2010
    can anybody help me , my chickens bum has swelled up and looks like her insides are coming out , looking at pictures it looks like prolapse ..i have been bathing her in warm water with a little salt ,cleaning her feathers of and pushing the prolapse back in, then smearing arnica gel over ...i have done this for 2 days , today i washed her the same and put honey over... she looks happier , but her insides are still coming out .. can i do anything else, as i dont really want to cull her ...and how long shall i continue this treatment until its the end for her... many thanks in advance for any advice (( i started with 3 chickens , the broody one ran off to lay an egg and didnt come back , so this is my last 2, .. if i do have to cull her should i take her out in the evening when asleep and re-introduce a couple more at the same so my last one isnt alone )).. thanks john

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I have no idea, I'm so sorry. Here's a little bump.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    When my hen prolapsed my vet had me soaking her bum in warm water with epson salts and sugar in it several times a day. Then used KY Jelly to gently push her insides back in, several times a day. She also made a sugar water solution which i kept in the fridge and streamed it over her vent area (several times a day). You could really see the vent contract when i used that. i'm thinking that helped the most.

Kept her in a covered hutch inside, so it would be dark and she wouldn't lay till she healed. That all seemed to do the trick, and it took about a week. If it had not worked, my vet said she could put a stitch up inside to hold it in until it healed.

Good luck with your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by