My little hatchlings - 2 pullets and a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by richsbabycakes, Feb 3, 2013.

1. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I hatched out 5 chicks in December and I think these three are 2 pulles and one roo. I think Bubba is my roo.

This is Chanel, she's 7 weeks. She has a Barred Rock mama and a white EE daddy.

[​IMG]

This is Pearl, 7 weeks 1 day. Same mama and daddy I think.

[​IMG]

Pearl and Bubba, also 7 weeks 1 day and same parents

[​IMG]

The beginnings of what I think are saddles on Bubba

[​IMG]

Bubba's comb

[​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I also believe you are right...I have noticed in my limited experience that when a young bird gets a red larger comb than it's hatchmates it is a rooster. I had 7 4 month old birds, and the 2 cockerels have had red combs since they were 7 or 8 weeks old..the females are just now starting to grow in and redden a bit as they get closer to 5 months...Only 5 remain. 4 pullets, one cockerel.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Yup think ur right

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You are correct. With this cross, you even made sex linked chicks, so in the future you don't have to guess genders! A barred hen under a solid (meaning non-barred, not necessarily solid colored) rooster gives what's generally called black sex links. The females don't get any barring from the hen, so hatch out with solid heads. The boys inherit a single barring gene from the momma, so they hatch out with a white spot on their head and have some barring. Now, with your "wild card" ee daddy, you'll have a mix of different colors but the sex linked barring should hold true!

5. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Cool! The other two babies are both very pale yellow. One has pink legs and the other one has yellow legs. They are some weird little babies but so cute.

6. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I can't wait for baby chicks. I am so eggcited. I don't care how I get them...I want them now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by