1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My little ladies are in treat heaven! How often do you give a "treat"

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JanaBanana1, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JanaBanana1

JanaBanana1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Tomorrow will be a week since I got my hens... they didn't get many "treats" where they came from. So I had to fix that [​IMG] Yesterday they had their first taste of cheese... and today I gave them some wheat bread and for breakfast I fed them room temperature oatmeal! They were in heaven with it!! My family thinks I am nuts with how much I love going out and giving them a treat every now and again... How often do you give yours treats?

2. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    dont feed human foood unless its fruit because its bad for them

3. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    1:02, this is the first I've heard of this. Do you have more info on this or studies, or is it personal opinion?

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Mine get some kind of "treat" everyday. Kitchen scraps, a little birdseed, scrambled eggs...

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have three kids and multiple daycare kids, so we have lots of leftovers. I chuck the girls a bowl of scraps almost every day. On cold mornings it is oatmeal. [​IMG]

Most human food is ok. Low salt, low fat, low junk.

6. Sylvialarry

Sylvialarry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Northern Calif
    I give my girls a treat daily. I currently have three hens but am getting four more at the end of this month. Daily I make them a veggie ball. It contains spinach, kelp, tomatoes, cauliflower and any other veggies I have. I also give them pasta without salt. They love it. The spaghetti noodles look like worms to them. I've also given them cooked rice with cooked hamburger. One of their favorites. Their ultimate favorite is meal worms and crickets. I'm growing meal worms for them and they get that daily too. Love my girls.

7. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Mine get whatever suitable leftovers there are each day. Anything else I toss on the compost pile, the escapees will get it anyway. They'll eat just about anything, but mainly I stay away from things that are salty, too sugary, or otherwise empty calories. (There's also a list of things you shouldn't give your chickens ever, like chocolate, garlic/onions, potato peels, avacado, citrus, etc.)

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Mine get treats every day. I give them a mix of corn, BOSS and apple pieces. They go GAGA over the apple. Even my youngsters learned in one day what the treat bucket looks like! So funny to see them lined up in their run waiting for their turn! [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Let's see,, treats,, when I walk out the door, when I walk into the yard,, if I have anything to eat for myself, when I make ramen noodles just for them, when I make sure I have extra spaghetti noodels,, ah heck,, it's easier to when I don't,, and I don't remember that!

10. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I give them a treat each morning when I go say hello before I leave for work. They hear the back door open and are all lined up at the gate chattering and talking. Apple is their favorite these days.

I put it on a metal stick so it's up off the ground:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I come home to at the end of the day:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by