My little lady regurgitating her food any advice

littlelady1

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Hello, I will admit right off the bat I am new at this. I have a 8 month old Speckeled Sussex and two and a half weeks ago I noticed her crop was not emptying over night, so I watched her for about a week and noticed she wasn't really eating and just staying away from the other 6 hens, four speckeled sussex, 1 barred rock, and 1 RR. So after that week I took her to the vet, well he did tell me right off that birds he has worked with but not chickens. I told him from what I had researched from this site that it was possibly sour crop, which he confirmed, so he pumped her out some what and put her on antibiotics and told me to keep her inside and feed her exact hand fed feed to make sure we get her crop working again. So after 4 days her crop started getting enlarged again so I took her back and they pumped her again and got like a 1/4 of a sandwich bag full of grass, food and ect.. Then he tells me to take her home and for 72 hours no feed just sugar water so we did. So 72 hours are up so I feed her 20mg of almost liquid exact baby bird feed and she gobbles it up, then the next time I fed her I made it almost like baby formula ( not real thick not real thin ) during this whole time in between she is regurgitating what every she takes in and then tries to re-eat it. For the next week she has done this and during this I am still giving her her antibiotics. I started getting real scared so I took her back 2-8-13 and the vet said maybe she had an obstruction further down that was making everything come up, so he put her on BARIUM he told me it would coat her digestive track and maybe allow what ever it was blocking her pass and as well more antibiotics. So that's what I did and Friday night no regurgitating, and Saturday and Sunday and she was even eating and resting and even had normal stools she even started shaking her tail feathers I honestly thought she was getting better, then today at 11:30 a.m. she started regurgitating all over again, the poor thing when she was even drinking her water it just started coming up. I felt so sorry for her the look in her eyes was like not this again. Now the vet told me if the Barium did not work and she continued to regurgitate that she wouldn't make it, because when he put her on the barium she showed signs of weight lose and her keel even started to be prominent. I am sorry if this is so long but I thought if I gave as much info as possible that maybe someone had seen this before. My husband keeps telling me that she can't be blocked up somewhere or for those 3 and a half days she wouldn't have ate and had normal droppings. The only thing I find odd is she is 8 months old and I don't think she has laid one egg yet and I know the 3 weeks she has been in the house she hasn't. So here it is, please if anyone has heard of this please reply if possible. Oh and after researching Barium that isn't a good thing to give to poltry if you ever plan to eat the bird which I would never I just thought it would be best to inform everyone of that.
sad.png

Thank you
Littlelady

You have responded to my thread, once you read through it, feel free to ask questions. I suspect she is probably still blocked and its sour,. Is her crop empty in the morning? I had to vomit my hen every day. Also you could giver her olive oil and message the crop. Did he offer her any anti fungal meds, that is prescribed for sour crop. Can you find an Avian vet that has worked with chickens? If she can't pass a blockage, she needs opened up and cleaned out. I tried to find info on Barium without much luck to what it's used for. Has she been dewormed?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding back to me now I know after researching more on fungal infections I realize the vet did not give anything for fungal, he only gave meds for bacterial infection. I'm going to call my dogs vet tomorrow and see if he will prescribe me some Tystatin to give to my little lady, she is such a good bird, I just feel owe her this for being such a sweet bird. Thank you so much.
celebrate.gif
D.gif

ok i found you thread and now have a bit more info. if vet removed grass from crio then dont let her access grass while shes recovering. i see your giving mashed/runny food already so that should help her get nutrition paased the blockage if there is one. not heard of the barium but you can use veg oil or liquid parafin to lubricate the area then do the massage to break up the mass also massage will help manouver food past the mass. as i said on pwands thread the monistat/canesten is antifungal and availible from chemist. if shes pooping she must be getting some food through. in my experience this sour crop takes ages to cure and does reoccur but dont give uo it can be cured. my thread is called sour crop. loads of info on there. i wish tou every luck with your sweet girl xxx

ok i found you thread and now have a bit more info. if vet removed grass from crio then dont let her access grass while shes recovering. i see your giving mashed/runny food already so that should help her get nutrition paased the blockage if there is one. not heard of the barium but you can use veg oil or liquid parafin to lubricate the area then do the massage to break up the mass also massage will help manouver food past the mass. as i said on pwands thread the monistat/canesten is antifungal and availible from chemist. if shes pooping she must be getting some food through. in my experience this sour crop takes ages to cure and does reoccur but dont give uo it can be cured. my thread is called sour crop. loads of info on there. i wish tou every luck with your sweet girl xxx

Back
Top Bottom