My little man JJ, a silver sebright, learned to crow today! I got it on video! Check it out :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chem, Apr 18, 2012.

1. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    hello everyone!

this morning my little man JJ finally learned how to crow! i am so proud of him [​IMG]
    he doesnt quite have it down pat yet but he is trying lol it always comes out a little odd sounding. kinda like a crackle here and there. i ran inside and got my camera to tape it. he is so dang cute when he stretches his little neck out lol my barred rock is also a male but doesnt crow or has yet to crow. i am assuming he wont since JJ is the dominant one. still unsure of how that will all turn out. but anyways, here is a quick vid of my little boy and his first real "big boy" words lol

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Great video. That crow was adorable. I am waiting right now for my black serama roo to find his crow. Today I heard some strange sounds coming from him so I think it's coming. Congrats! Your other babies are beautiful too,by the way.

3. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    thank you :)
    he has "little chicken" syndrome lol he doesnt think he is small and he acts all big and tough. its pretty amusing at times especially when playing with the larger chickens.
    how old is your little serama? i have been debating on getting a serama hen but it is nearly impossible for me to find just one. not many people will ship just one little chick. someday i will find a baby serama to raise :D
    im wondering if the noises your little fella is making is the same noise my little roo started making for the past week. it was kinda like a trilling and it only lasted for a few days until he learned to crow today. maybe your little fella will start real soon! isnt it exciting! i havent heard a serama crow before. i wonder what he will sound like? if you get a chance to capture it on vid go for it so you can post it! [​IMG]

4. Gardeningmama

I was lucky enough to find a show breeder that lives 30 min from me. She's on BYC, Brody's Bordello. I got 3 Seramas from her, as luck would have it 2 roosters, but one was much older than the others. He's about 7 or 8 weeks old. He sounds kind of like a squeaky toy(not a good description). My other roo is soo tiny I was not prepared for how small they could be, but at 5 weeks old he is dwarfed by my two week old standards. They are fun though. I plan to breed them next year.

5. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    oh wow, that is so awesome! i have seen pictures of them when they are fist born and i about crapped myself at the size. now seramas are the smallest breed correct? i can just picture your little man trying to crow, thats going to be a sight! the cuteness factor would melt my heart :)
    i bet both roos will be so handsome when they finish growing!!!
    well, if you do end up breeding next year and are willing to sell/ship eggs or chicks than count me in! lol im serious, i cannot find anywhere near my in FL that has them or they want me to buy in bulk.

6. Phyrst

Phyrst Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD
    Hi! Will you keep us posted on your Seramas? I think I would like to keep some but want to know as much as possible. Thanks!

7. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    well gardeningmama, you have now opened up a can of worms! lol [​IMG]
    they really are a great breed from my research and watching yours grow would be an awesome educational experience for us newbies :D

8. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ha ha. That is excellent.

9. Gardeningmama

Really they are great, but I'm learning as I go. I recently learned that when you put out a plate of bananas, lettuce, and oats you should remove the dwarf before the stampede. He held his own, but came out absolutely covered in food mash and feces. Thus the filthy appearance he is actually crusty now and I'm wondering if I can give him a bath? This is an extreme case, I don't think he will be able to do it himself. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In my large flock, I had two Silver Sebright roosters and a hen. I had to rehome some roosters, and because the Sebrights have really, really surprisingly loud crows, the two brothers Alex and George were adopted (along with a bantam Cochin and three large fowl hens) by an older gentleman who has five acres and loves bantam roosters.

George used to flog visitors to my house - all of 8 inches tall, so he got ankles and calves pretty good. They were gorgeous. I still have Alice the Silver Sebright hen in my flock.

They are such cool chickens! I know that little squeaky baby crow quite well. You may be surprised how loud your JJ may be able to announce the dawn once he gets his adult crow on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by