1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My little Nala has curved toes and......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Shkittles, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shkittles

Shkittles Chillin' With My Peeps

it doesn't seem to hurt or stop her from doing anything. She is a four week old Salmon Faverolle. She walks fine and roosts fine, infact she probably roosts more then all of my chicks and i figure if she's fine with her toes then i'm fine with them. She doesn't have to be perfect, it makes her special.
    i love my Nala [​IMG]

*wrong date on camera*
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  2. Shkittles

Hello???? is anybody out there?

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have an EE like that (in fact, I think my girl's toes are worse). It doesn't slow her down one bit. In fact, I tend to forget unless I am just looking at her feet for some reason. [​IMG]

4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have a Welsummer like that, we call him Tiny Tim (like in Christmas Carol) he is also a wee little runt. Tim walks with a wobble but he's not scared of the larger birds! I want to eat him but my husband has grown attached. Now I have to look into caponizing because I don't want him to breed. See how short his legs are?

Tiny Tim at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. Shkittles

[​IMG] aww i think Tiny Tim is adorable even with his disability! [​IMG]

6. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    i have 2 ameraucanas that i got from a breeder as culls because they have curved toes, it doesnt seem to harm them in any way, and i got some really nice birds out of it...lol

7. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    My roo has very short legs, maybe his shell was ordered one size too small! [​IMG]

8. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had a rooster like that. Then about 1/4 of his chicks also had that.

You can actually fix it when they are chicks. I've never tried it once they were older.

Just cut up toothpicks and tape them and the toe straight for a few days, and they are perfect or almost perfect.

My rooster was to old for me to catch it, I was just starting out. And it didn't seem to bother him one bit. Although he walked a little funny.

Note: All my chickens with this problem were EE's.

They say it's not genetic. But I really don't believe that fact. I'm no expert. But with just my own experience I hatch about 30 chicks every month. And 1/4 or more of the chicks from this rooster had curled toes. And they were the only chicks I ever got with curled toes.

He was one of my first chickens and sadly he isn't with us anymore. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm told it is from a temp spike in the incubator when they were forming, so it's not genetic. I have a few like this and they do just fine.

10. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Did everyone's chickens w/deformed feet also have very short legs? He has a normal sized body but the yellow shank part of the leg is only about two inches long and his siblings are about three inches.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by