My little Red is dying..

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Red was one of my first out of three chickens. She is three years old now but became an internal layer a little over a year ago.

She LOVED being outside and a coop chicken, she took to it well when we moved to the country. She was always BOSS hen, and ate like a pig. Lately when I would go to the coop, she wouldnt push for food anymore, wouldnt even go out of the coop when I opened the doors, poor thing and afraid of the roosters.

So I brought her in, after all, she is my first chicken and my lovebug. I have been feeding her people food, but two days ago she went til where she wont even accept hamburger, just apple sauce and peeled grapes, very soft things. I know she is on her way out.

I came into the kitchen yesterday, was cleaning up after the duck who manages to get out every morning and make a mess.

She was laying on her side, with her head stretched out like she was dead. I was almost happy her pain was over, she hasnt laid an egg in over a year and I am sure her insides are a total mess. The only thing thats brought her this far is sheer determination.

She always loves being held with her head over my arm. I softly touched her and called her name. She was still alive but couldnt get up. So I picked her up, got my big needleless syringe and put olive oil with nutmeg oil (painkiller) in her vent.

Then I held her, she talked softly to me while I had a good cry, then I peeled some grapes and she actually ate them. She rallied a bit after the oil kicked in, and I fed her three June bugs last night, but I dont have long. She has mites I cant seem to get rid of even with Ivermectin. Maybe it doesnt go thru her system like a bird thats healthy? Anyhow, poor dear has poop all over her behind, I wasnt going to put her thru a bath, but just might today if she feels up to it, she always loves being clean. She is on her way out and I know it.

Its a bit heartbreaking to lose her. Thank god I still have Lily and Dash, but out of my very first three chickens, she is the last. I would post a picture, but I havent taken any recently, wanting to remember her the way she was when young and feisty.

hit.gif
hit.gif
I am sorry, atleast you know she was a very loved chicken.

I was almost happy her pain was over, she hasnt laid an egg in over a year and I am sure her insides are a total mess. The only thing thats brought her this far is sheer determination.

Oh, Jill, you know I've been there too many times. My Ginger is four and a half and hasn't laid an egg since a year ago June. Her abdomen is starting to fill up and she won't be here much longer, either. I'm so sorry! I remember you talking about Red and Fussy all the time.​

I am so sorry. I know speckledhen has three girls suffering from the same thing and you can do abssolutely nothing to help. Hopefully she passes soon and peacefully.

so, so sorry for what you are having to go through. At least you know you have done everything possible for little Red, and you know that SHE knows she is loved and cherished. So many animals never get to experience that feeling of being loved. Make every moment you have count, and when the time comes when she has to leave you, I hope you will take comfort in knowing she will no longer be in pain or discomfort. May your memories comfort you and bring you smiles when your heart has had time to heal.
hugs.gif

Thanks to all.

So sorry you lost your Butterscotch, chickenzoo. Hugs to you.

And Cyn, yes I know you have fought the good fight with this with SO many of your girls.

Yea, they have given me many many fun memories, them chasing a squirrel up a tree then stalking round and round it while the squirrel also went round and round. Dont know what they thought they would DO with it if they caught it.

Red is still hanging by a thread, she is behind the tv and wont come out, I dont imagine she will last beyond 48 hours. She will rstir and eat a June bug if I throw it down by her. After I brought her in from the coop (about 3 weeks ago now) she rallied and was even chasing bugs thru the house, she had me laughing so hard cuz here is this chicken at deaths door literally and she was still trying to bound around to catch a bug. I will certainly miss her shiny feathers out in the yard and even more her presence in the house.

I cant believe she has lasted a year with this condition. Dont think I will ever ever buy another sex-link and am just mad at humanity that they even breed a poor animal to make so many eggs that they just "blow out" after a year.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom