My little red rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jackilouise, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jackilouise

jackilouise New Egg

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi, I joined Backyard Chickens about a month ago, but since then I have been very upset and unable to join in the group as I had to send my beautiful little chicken back to the farm. We thought we had been given a 2 week old female chicken but after 4 months of raising and loving him to pieces we had to give him up. He is a Rhode Island Red, I was told, and such a beautiful colour. My husband and I were and still are devastated. I guess some people might think 'devastated' is a strong word but he, 'Coco' had become one of our family. He had so much personality. I live in the suburbs of Sydney, Australia and we are not allowed to keep Roosters in suburbia. I hope to get another chicken but in time.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I understand. One of my byc friends thought if he had the rooster "de-crowed" he would be able to keep him. But it did not survive the surgery.

4. jackilouise

jackilouise New Egg

Jul 12, 2013
    That is so sad. I did not know that it was possible to 'de-crow' a rooster. I know my little boy is on a nice farm and hopefully will be around for quite some time as the owner of the chicken farm told me he wants to keep him. They told me I could visit him and I want to but I think it would be even harder on my husband and I to 'let go'. I'm sure Coco is having a wild time with all the hens there.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Dang! That stinks. Hopefully next time you can find a hen.

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]I'm sorry you had to give him up. Do you plan on trying again? Welcome to the site

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. jackilouise

jackilouise New Egg

Jul 12, 2013
    Hi Katie, I would love to get another chicken. We are in the process of looking for and buying a house so I hope that when we are settled in we will definitely get another feathered friend. My Coco loved the computer and the TV. Sorry the pic is so big - don't know how to change it[​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Hope your back in the ranks of chicken owner again real soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by