My little Roo 12 wks no crow picture included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, Sep 20, 2009.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My Little SLW Rooster is the only roo for 5 girls and he has not even tried to crow yet. He is definately a roo![​IMG][/img]

Should I be concerned?
    CAL
    JAX FL

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Don't worry. A crowless rooster could earn you a lot of money! But wait a few weeks, it will start. He doesn't look like a Silver Laced Wyandotte though.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i had a rooster that didn't crow until he hit 18 weeks old

4. SarasotaClucker

SarasotaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Kooshie is right... a strain of chickens with roosters that did not crow would be a gold mine (and a possible set-back for hatcheries that are providing chicks to those who can't have roosters).

Since crowing no doubt plays a social communication, it would be interesting to see how relationships with the hens played out.

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Well, I will have to wait it out I guess. I know he hears crowing because my neighbors all have roosters that crow early in the morning.

Someone said he did not look like a slw - He was very yellow as a baby and did not look much like the other slw. His feathering too does not look slw ish. I will post his baby picture.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/img]

I thought it was that he was a roo but his feathers while he may molt somemore don't have that slw detail of white with black outline.
    cal
    jax fl

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote:UM.. I have an Ameracauna roo that has never even tried to crow, or court or mount a girl.. 3x the size as my leghorn roo of the same age and he runs from him also.. 21 weeks today

7. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:UM.. I have an Ameracauna roo that has never even tried to crow, or court or mount a girl.. 3x the size as my leghorn roo of the same age and he runs from him also.. 21 weeks today

mine was also an ameracauna ... at 17 weeks he was mounting and at 18 weeks he was crowing ... at 19 weeks he was in the gumbo pot

wasn't much meat on him

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have a EE roo that didn't start crowing till he was 7 months old!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by