1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My little rooster cannot close his eye (only the one... not both...)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hermes, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Hermes

Hermes Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Athens
    Dear all,
    I read often your posts and I would like to congratulate you for your efforts!
    I just registered as I would like your help as I don't know if I have to do with a serious issue or not and any advise would be helpful!!!!

I own a 3 months old black cochin rooster, Hermes.
    His weight is normal, his appetite is good, his mood is very good (he is actually a quiet calm bird but with a true "rooster" instinct when it's needed!), his poop are as it should be (please excuse me for not be much descriptive about it but I don't know the terminology.... though I am sure that the poop and his health in general are good as I am familiar with bird diseases and symptoms. Unfortunately I can describe everything in Greek and not in English....)

The issue is that he cannot close the one of his eyes... I read thousands of threads but everywhere I read about the opposite problem... meaning birds that cannot open their eye. Mine he cannot open both... but he cannot close the one.
    I just found this issue and I will try to give you as much details as I can.
    He cannot close his right eye and that's why this eye is tearing. The eye is not swollen and Hermes sees without issues (I double checked this). I also checked carefully but I didn't saw blood or any scratch near the eye area. Though, we have a cat around here and I don't know if he is scratched him. Plus he is breathing without a problem and his pupil looks normal but I can tell for sure if it's scratched.
    My first guess is that is just an injury so my questions are these:

- If isn't an injury what else could be?
    - What I could do?

Any advise would be precious as we live in a city area, so it's very hard to find an ornithologist here who will be experienced with chickens.

Last but not least, I should mention that we treat our two chickens as pets, meaning that we cuddling them, pet them etc. so I am pretty sure that whatever is happened, it's happened within the last hour....

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Elena

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear your rooster is having problems. Could you try putting saline solution in a syringe to clean the eye? Start with the top lid and just squirt a bit in and then do it to the bottom lid to see if anything flushes out.

3. Hermes

Hermes Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Athens
    Thank you for your reply and your warm welcome!
    I did that and I also cleared his eye as gently as I could but nothing happened.
    I should also mention that during the "cleaning" process he tried to close his eye but the little "membrane" that the eye has doesn't "show" up.
    It's late here right now, but in the morning I will take a picture and I will post it here. I think this will describe the situation better than me!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Do you mean the lid is torn off?

5. Hermes

Hermes Hatching

Aug 1, 2014
    Athens
    Hi!
    Our problem is solved! Here is what happened to us, so in case that someone has the same issue he/she may find a potential solution!

We made a little trip (the nearest ornithologist with experience with chickens was 300Km away but it worthed!)
    Hermes has an infection on his eye (probably due to some of our plants - he really likes the nettles for some reason!!!).
    The doctor he exterminated carefully and he found that everything else is fine and our little bird is in perfect health!
    He gave us tetramycine to put to his water and he suggested to clear his eye with cold chamomile.
    We already do this last two days and his eye is way better!

Thank you those people who spent their time to read my post!
    I am really glad that it wasn't anything serious!

Elena

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So glad to hear that! :) Thank you for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: