My Little Silkie is Acting Weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stlcards, Nov 15, 2013.

1. stlcards

stlcards Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Missouri
    One of my little Silkies is being very strange. When I pick her up she spins her head completely around to face the sky then tucks it under her body. Then when I sit her down she keeps her head tucked and waddles backwards. Think there's something wrong or is she just goofy? I didn't see and mites or anything, my only idea would be her ears bothering her. I watched her walk backwards in circles shaking her head underneath her for at least 3 minutes the other day.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Separate her from your other birds. Those are symptoms of a sick bird. Twisting neck is a symptom of Newcastle Disease, which I hope it isn't. Is she being picked on by other birds or are symptoms worse if she is scared by loud noises or something?
    I had a hen that my rooster had singled out and was terrorizing her. She acted goofy because he was attacking her. She was constantly twisting her neck and trying to literally watch her back. My roo was sneaking cause he wouldn't do it if I was close. I'm hoping this is what's going on with yours cause Newcastle Disease is bad.

3. stlcards

stlcards Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Missouri
    She's not being picked on, she's been with the flock for a few months now. I got her with a roo from the same pen and he's fine. I hope it isn't serious.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I would still separate her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by