My little Silkie need help. PRONTO!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Need answers, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Need answers

Need answers New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    I need help, AND FAST!! :(

For you see I had 6 chicken eggs in my incubator, but only four were fertilize.
    Around the second week of incubating, we had a blackout. When my mother had reached the eggs they were slightly cold. She tried her best to keep all four that were growing warm, but by the time the chicks had hatched. Two of the four died due to body problems caused from the blackout. One of the chicks are really healthy and is out in the shed under the red light, while the other one who has really bad body problems and is still inside of the incubator where I can keep an eye on it 24/7.
    The blackout has caused so much problems with this chicken such as;
    - The lump where the breast area is, is off sided.
    - The eyes are normally closed.
    - We have to feed and give the chick water all by hand.
    and
    - Walking problems.
    (One of the legs sticks out too far to the side causing the chick to constantly fall over and waddle when walking)

I can tell the chick is REALLY trying when we teach it to walk, and it makes me so sad because I can't think of anything to help it.
    If my mother doesn't see any improvements soon, she is considering to put it to sleep because "It's better than for it to suffer".

I know she has a point but I love this chick SO MUCH, and I would hate to see another one pass. If anyone could help me on how to teach my poor baby to walk I will love you forever!!

~ Need Answers

2. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Someone once told me they popped the chick in water for the other leg to strengthen but not sure strength is this little dudes problem.. We see birds with one leg maybe a chook can do it too.. I'm not sure BUT stay positive! All my chooks just recently had MG and REALLY BAD MG everyone kept telling me to cull them all, i didn't and i know ill have to watch them forever but they are all happy and healthy now! I have one silkie with very poor balance but even she is growing bigger and stronger every day..

Chin up love there will be a way and he/she may just have to adjust to life as a little different to other chooks xx

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Here is a site on chicken foot and leg problems and how to treat them:

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

It sounds like your chick may suffer from what we call "splayed leg". It can be treated quite easily by taping the legs together with a band-aid to hold it in position. There are more info and that and illustrations on the site. Best of luck and let us know if she recovers?

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] please don't give up on her - it sounds like she hasn't given up. Give her a chance. Often chicks that had perfect incubation still have splayed legs or feet etc., it's common and sometimes caused then the chick is too crowded in the shell. Also hatching is quite an ordeal and the chicks can be exhausted for a day or two.

1 person likes this.
  7. Need answers

Need answers New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Why thank you [​IMG]

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chick.

10. Need answers

Need answers New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Thank you all for your help, but sadly, George (The chicks name ^-^ ) passed away yesterday morning. I am very thankful for all that helped me and I wish luck to you all, and your chickens![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by