My little "Ugly" went broody today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kristenm1975, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I adopted a terrifically ugly little black turken hen in September and to my knowledge, she's only just started laying eggs for us about a month ago. I went out to gather the eggs tonight around 5:30 and found her sitting on two of them, but not sitting there with her head up, looking contented like most of my hens do when they're in there, waiting to lay an egg. She had her head totally tucked down so I couldn't see it over the curve of her back. Her vent area was moving, like I've seen before on hens just about to pop an egg out, so I just waited a few minutes so I could gather all the eggs and not have to go back out in the dark after my dinner.

After five minutes, nothing happened so I left her to the eggs and went in. I checked several hours later, and she was in the same spot, doing the same thing so I just reached under her and took the two eggs. She growled and made like she was going to peck at my hand. Broody right? I've never had a broody hen. Is it fairly common for turkens to go broody?

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Either broody or eggbound (having trouble laying an egg). Turkens make good mommys & do go broody.

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hmm. Thanks for the response. I'll keep an eye on her to see if she's starting to have any swelling. She's tiny, so anything extra would certainly stand out.

Here she is on the roost: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by