1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my little welsummer chick need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlueBirdChick, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Its about 13 days old and its got two little flock mates that are the same age as it is. The others are growing leaps and bounds , They all are feathering out like they should. It came from a small egg not sure if it was a pullet egg. anyway here is the chick. Just making sure that its okay and growing like it should... Is it growing like it should?
    [​IMG][/img]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The subject says "help" but I'm not seeing a question contained in your post. Were you needing help with something? You chick sure is cute....

3. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Your chick is fine. It's just the runt of the bunch...i had a rir girl who had the same thing ( was smaller than the others), she is now 7 months and doing fine.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    One of my Blue Orpingtons is developing behind the others.. still full of fuzz and just getting started feathering out when the others are way ahead. He/She is healthy looking and both eats and runs around fine.. I just think some develop slower.

I think your chick is fine.. [​IMG]

Shelly

5. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    thank you guys [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a breeder near me who said some of his best birds have come out of pullet eggs. I questioned him more about this practice of hatching pullet eggs and he said that they start out smaller than the others but then catch up just fine. So, that may be what you have here. Such a little cutie, isn't it?

Also, did you know you can sex Wels at hatch? You can look it up on here, I am sure. I don't remember which has the eye stripe, the boys or the girls.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by