my little wyandotte's face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sspeacock, Oct 26, 2013.

1. sspeacock

sspeacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    My two and 1/2 month old Wyandotte has a very red, "sick" looking area where the comb should have been; I believe that the comb started developing and then - it was gone. ??? Thought at first an injury but the situation continues to develop with more redness that seems to be spreading. Her little head also seems quite itchy, and she is shaking it a lot. Need help! Thanks.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a picture? I'm not sure what it could be.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It would help if you posted a photo. Wyandottes naturally don't develop large combs, so their heads can look odd. But the area shouldn't be red and itchy looking.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Wyandottes definitely have odd looking combs at this age compared to chickens with a straight comb. And it could be red because it is a rooster. Will wait to see pic's.

5. sspeacock

Oct 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here is the photo. Anyone? Thanks so much in advance.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb itself looks normal for a Wyandotte. However, are those yellowish bumps on the edge of the comb that I see? If so, then your pullet may have the dry form of Fowl Pox. Fowl Pox is viral disease carried by mosquitoes and flies. In its dry form, Fowl Pox causes lumps on the comb, face, and wattles. In its more severe wet form, Fowl Pox causes lesions and lumps on the inside of the mouth and respiratory tract, sometimes leading to suffocation. There is no treatment; it will run its course in 3-6 weeks. However, you can treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic, like oxytetracycline or Tylan50, to prevent secondary infection--a much more serious problem.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb looks normal to me. A Wyandottes comb is naturally small and flat. However, I think that I am seeing some small yellowish bumps on the front of the comb. She could have a mild case of Fowl Pox, which would irritate her and cause her to itch/scratch at her head..

8. sspeacock

Oct 26, 2013
    Thank you to everyone who wrote in. I am keeping an eye on her for fowl pox, but I do believe the area that looked like yellowish bumps might have been where she was scratching it against some surface. Looks
    better now, and she doesn't seem as itchy, so I'm less worried, but still watching. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by