My lone hatch is not doing so hot, Please Advice is needed urgently!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by comerrick, Jun 30, 2008.

1. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    [​IMG] I had 1 hatch out of 19 eggs, granted, alot ended up not being fertilized after all. Well it's a cutie but a loner and a friend of mine gave me 7 others to be buddies with it. They are about a week older and bigger but not too much. My lone chick seemed to be doing well, cuddling them during naps ect. But this morning I found her in the corner, not really moving. I picked her up and she seems alot weak and a bit cold. I have been trying to warm her up my hand and giving water by hand and stimulating her. She keeps cheeping a bit but won't open her eyes either. Would putting her back in the incubater help. What can I do, I just want to loose my lone hatchling!!
    Lov
    Liv

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like she needs to be separate or the others may peck at her. She needs to be warmed up. If you have any vitamins you can add them to her water as a boost. How is her poo? Is she currently eating anything?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do you have a heat lamp on the chick?

4. comerrick

May 15, 2008
    I only had 1 lamp and it was on all of them. That is why I am heating the incubator up and putting her in there, to seperate and warm. What vitamins and where can I get them? Actually, I have never seen her eat. I took two tiny lids and added water in one and chick feed in the other. When I hand fed the chick water, she did drink it.
    Lov
    Liv

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your incubator is going to be too hot. 100 degree temps may make the chick worse. The brooder should be 90 - 95 degrees. Lower or adjust the lamp to warm up a small area of the brooder. Heat stress will kill chicks as easily as being too cold.

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you have never seen her eat or drink then dip her beak in the food and water to show her it's okay.

You can put her in a small box inside the brooder under the heat lamp.

7. comerrick

May 15, 2008
    That is a good idea, I will go find a smaller box. Thanks.

Her updates are this.
    still alive
    just sleeping
    not eating or drinking.

I have actually dunked her mouth in the water and doesn't seem to do the trick although at the time she does drink it.
    Lov
    Liv

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How is she doing this morning?

9. comerrick

May 15, 2008
    I'm sorry to say that this morning, I found she had passed away. She was still warm and not stiff so I must of just missed her going. [​IMG]
    Lov
    Liv

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawwwww well maybe it was a case of just not thriving and being ready for this world. Sorry you lost the little one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by