1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My lonely day old won't stop peeping...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cecilcountychic, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Cecilcountychic

Cecilcountychic Hatching

Mar 19, 2012
    Cecil County, Md.
    Yesterday morning I had a fella hatch. None of the others have hatched yet; so I moved him to the brooder. Temp is 98, and he is cheeping like crazy! What should I do? Another egg has pipped, should I put him back in the incubator, or leave him in the brooder? He has food and water... He is a lively one.

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Songster

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Can you put a little stuffed animal in with it?

3. Cecilcountychic

Cecilcountychic Hatching

Mar 19, 2012
    Cecil County, Md.
    I moved the lamp a bit closer, and he has quieted a bit. I will get a little stuffed animal for him.. I was just worried he is cold.... After being a mom of 8, I feel like I am a mom to any little creature :)

4. felidaet

felidaet Songster

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Sometimes a mirror in the brooder makes a single chick think there is another one in there.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a single chick in the brooder, too. I hope more will hatch tomorrow so he'll have some company. I've just tried to hold him more than usual so he'll have some socialization. I've heard the stuffed animal, or a small pillow would be helpful, too. Good luck - hope you get more hatching real soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by