My long weekend family vacation

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by maplesky7, Sep 8, 2008.

1. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Well...
    Here it is about 5 hours until I was expected home actually.

We got home about midnight last night because when I got back to the cabin in the Dells, my mom informed me that the teenage girl next door who was watching my animals...couldn't capture my 7yr. old dd's cat and he'd been out over 24 hours.

Well, he means the world to dd and I just couldn't risk anything bad happening to him. I wouldn't have been able to sleep or enjoyed a half day at the pool not knowing his where abouts.

Within 5 minutes of pulling into the drive...I had him. Praise the Lord.

Soooo....we went to a really nifty place in the dells--my mom rented us a cabin on the once lake Delevan, until it was just recently washed away by the flooding. Each of us four sisters and our families got our own room.

My husband is in Iraq---so I had my 2 little girls, 7 and 2, and they of course chose the room with the chunky wood bunk bed. Which had a pull out sleeper in the loveseat...which led to my back burning & on fire the next day...so I slept with my 2 yr. old on the bottom bunk...with her swinging limbs bashing me in the face every so often...anything was better than that sleeper.

The hotel had a bus we called that came to pick us up when ever we wanted to go to the hotel resort/golf club areas. They had 3 indoor water parks. It was massive. They also had an arcade and indoor play land.

We were SUPPOSED to check out the 3rd water park today but I left early because of the cat...

We went down one water slide were you climb all these flights of stairs and you get on this tube that accomodates plenty of people and so one of my sister's opted to go down with me and my 2 girls--holding on to my oldest and me holding on to my youngest and whoosh---down we went and it was pitch black!

We yelled at her and the other one's husband for not warning us it was completely black. They had a good laugh. My oldest was scared but my 2 year old started up the stairs to do it again.

There were these other kid slides that didn't really empty out...the slide just came down and straightened out into it's own pool so I would go down, then my sister's 3 year old, then my 2 year old, and then my 7 year old. And we did this over and over and over....

And frankly my legs are weak from all the stair climbing. But it was SOO worth it. My girls and my sister's kids (5 under 7yrs., one infant, and one teen-2 other teens unable to attend) enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

Each sister had a night to make dinner. I cooked 3 of my birds last night and it was well recieved.

We took a tour of Lost Canyon--horse drawn wagon ride and it was loads of fun. We had a young man as our guide that took my family's ribbing very well. One funny part was going through this tight canyon, where at times you could touch the rock if you wanted to and under this one over hang there was this thin stick that was wedged in vertically and he stops the wagon and says, "If you look over to your right under this ledge...you will see a small stick...that stick is the only thing holding up this massive wall of rock."

I said, "Yooouuu put it there." And he said, no, but he knew who did. Another time we pass another wagon and he's making small talk with the driver Jake...and he says to Jake, I like when we have these small talks...and Jake proceeds to go the other direction and so I yell, "Jake, iiiii'lll miiiiiiss yooooouu!" Laughter ensues.

At any rate it was a fun trip.

***BUT one of the major events that happened was on Sat. night at the water park when I went into a bathroom stahl with my 2 year old...noticed a pouch...opened it up found a small straw and this elaborately folded paper inside---and of course I opened it to inspect and a white powder was inside.

So I stuck it in my bra before my 2 year old noticed and we finished getting our suits on and I cupped it in my hand and took it to a plain clothes woman (after asking a lifeguard) who took it and said she'd call security.

And I made the drop off without my kids knowing anything was up. And I was disappointed the pouch wasn't full of money with no id. Because that's what I was hoping for. ha ha.

The arcade was fun because in the crawl area with nets and slides...they have these air guns that are big animals that shoot out baseball sized foam balls out of their mouths and a beaver that shoots out of his hind end.

My bro-in-law who's a police officer had fun shooting me multiple times in the face and head. I would try to retaliate but he'd duck for cover. And then I'd remember, oh, I better look around and make sure I know where our kids are...and it would never fail...he'd remerge and clobber me again.

Then I saw a little girl both nights actually, who had trouble manuevering the guns--they were big--big as her really---so I'd aim the guns at unsuspecting people and she'd put the balls in and push the fire button. Our main targets were unsuspecting dads and teenage boys. Us girls just looked too innocent to be the ones firing on them so we had dad's pointing fingers at us and teenage boys who were in their own wars with their friends smile big because they were caught off guard...which left them wide open and vulnerable. na na.

It was quite some time.

And there MAY have been kids that ate too much junk, didn't get enough sleep, were overly tired, whiney REALLY whiney at times, and there may have been one kid that puked...not including the infant.

Loads and loads of fun--I'd recommend this place to anyone in the area.

http://www.wildernessresort.com/resort-waterparks/resort-waterparks.html

me,
    g

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    That place actually sounds real nice. Kinda like the place me and my girls go to near Erie Pa. called Splash Lagoon. Sounds like you guys had a nice time and you even scored some cocacola.... [​IMG] As if you needed any of that junk to get to gretchenland [​IMG]

Good to have you back, g!

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    My daughter has her first basketball game of the year today at 4pm. She's actually quite good and is usually the best player on the court...

Don't know where that comes from... I couldn't score a basket if I was standing under the basket...

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That sounds like a wonderful time! It also sounds like it was well deserved. I am so glad you found the cat too! I came back from a 2 week vacation. My pet sitter told me that one of my cats had been missing for the last week. My cats at the time were to always be inside as I lived on a very busy street. However after being in my house for 2 minutes I heard a VERY upset meow! She had locked the poor cat in the garage without food or water for a week!! That was the last time she pet sat for me!

5. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    awesome...

I'm so short that when i was a 5th grader and my dad signed me up to b-ball, I mostly shot granny shots. You know the underhanded scoop between both your legs kind?

me,
    g

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Tell me about it. My wife's Dad looked after our chickens on our honeymoon and he forgot to close the coop and left the garage door open all day one day with newly hatched chicks in there with cats roaming around. Of course the game cam busted him pretty bad as he was caught in the act. He also brought his chicken chasing dogs with him...

Honestly, can you really trust anybody these days to watch animals for you? [​IMG]

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:I'm sure you were quite the sight....

You mentioned being short before....how short are you? For some reasons I'm getting visions of munchinland in Oz.... Are you a member of the lollipop guild?

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    That's the thing chicken chick...she said at one point he ran into the garage and she was talking to my mom on the phone and so my mom says...so did you close the door so you could catch him?

She says, no, how would the outside cats get to their food??

We decided teenagers don't have all of the problem solving skills yet.

I'm just glad he came to me and no harm had come to him.

A week without food and water? That's just terrible. And the thing is...when it's YOUR pet...you think to look in places like the garage after you had been in there...

Plus she didn't lock my coop up the right way. There's a door that drops down and I showed her--3x I went through the routine with her. You know what she did? She took the ramp board and set it up. Definatley not predator proof.

One roo escaped and she was able to get him she said. I've counted the chickens...I've inspected the dogs...

oh wait...wait...we left by 11am on Fri....on sat. at 1pm I call her to check and she says that my mom's little dog hadn't been out the whole time. She wouldn't come outside. And when she picked her up she yelped. I said, it's normal for her to yelp--she has the same dog that does the same thing when you go under the arm pits---pick her up and take her out or she'll go in my house. So pick her up, wait for my female dog to go and then put grandma's dog right by it and she'll go.

and my male dog was eating the little dogs food so I told her to put him on the chain for a while so granny's dog could eat.

and one of the goldfish died.

and my elderly dog was limping but she does that on occasion.

so I plan on paying her what I was going to pay her and chalking it up to teenagers have no sense sometimes.

and at least all my animals are safe now...well, minus the goldfish.

me,
    g

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I'm 5'2 and no...i did not taste test the coke but my police officer bro-in-law asked if I smelled (ammonia) pneumonia and I said no, and he said it was coke because crack has a (ammonia) pneumonia smell to it.

plus the fancy folding has a special name to it too...with the paper...

so i admit...i smelled it but not enough for it to coat the inside of my nose hairs.

I just guessed with the short straw and the white powder...must be coke.

and I was not on aquadots this weekend or any other weekend...just lack of sleep and your basic coke classic that comes in the red can and is sipped...not sniffed.

me,
    g

(i've been rectified! but I had to leave the original in for laughs.)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    That sounds like a great weekend to me![​IMG]
    We do this kind of thing as a family a couple times a year, generally a different place, a different experience. One time is with the whole family and the second time is the "womens" weekend. Our family is large and its important to have that time and connect with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by