My Love Affair......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cornelljacks, Jun 22, 2010.

1. cornelljacks

cornelljacks In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    My story starts on May 19th 2010 when my 16 year old son came home from a friends house with 11 chicen eggs. My son said he wanted to hatch the eggs and raise them. I said "no way!!!, I have enough chores around here and I am not going to take care of any chickens." My son however after many promises that he would be 100% responsible for the chickens convinced me to let him keep them. He dug out an old incubator from a shed, cleaned it up, plugged it in (and against my hopes) the incubator still worked. In went the chicken eggs. For a week or so I tried not to even think about those eggs and hoped that none of them would hatch. However as the days passed I found myself checking with my son to make sure he had turned the eggs when he was supposed to and made sure that the temp was holding steady. I began getting supplies for the eggs, and as I was doing research online I found BYC, I spent hours on this site learing everything I could about how to care for these chickens. We put a big feed bin that my son had once purchased to keep minnows in to use as a brooder. We bought chick starter and bedding and a heat lamp and on and on until the brooder was finally finished. As the day 21 day countdown got closer I found myself getting more and more excited to see at least one of these eggs hatch. And sure enough on the 21st day chicks started popping out of the eggs. 8 of the 11 eggs hatched, my son did not candle them so we did not know what to expect. Well as soon as those babies came to life my heart melted and I fell in love with all of them. I immediately turned into the "mom" of these babies (I did not trust that my son would take as good of care of them as I would). Don't get me wrong, he still has to participate in their care such as food and water, but I oversee this whole operation. The day the chicks hatched we started talking about making a home for them. My husband had an old chicken coop on our property that he and his father built when he was just a kid. We drug that old coop into the yard and began making plans for the "restoration" of the coop. Well, after days and days of research on BYC I came up with the best possible plans for the restorationof the coop we had. We have begun the process and I will post pics when we are done. I have always been a lover of animals, my cat and dog and treated like the kings that they are, but I never thought I could fall in love with chickens the way I have with my other pets, boy was i WRONG!! I could spend hours just watching those baby chicks!! I get up every moring and have my coffee watching the chicks, I find it hard to tear myself away from them, they are just to much fun to watch. When I first found BYC I thought there was no way I was going to become a devoted chicken lover and well that is exactly what I have become. My family has never had chickens (my husband did when he was little, but his father was their care taker) and are so excited to experience this journey together!! I can not thank all of you enough for all of the valuable information that I have found on this site, what an amazing community BYC is!! I have some pics of the chicks, we have no idea on their breed, I am guessing they are a mix of a few things. These pics are from when they were 2days old I believe. They are 2 weeks old today and my how they have grown and changed. And so this begins my love affair with Chickens!!! [​IMG]

2. krcote

krcote Songster

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    What a lovely story!

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Awww, wonderful story! [​IMG] we're very happy to have you!!

4. cornelljacks

cornelljacks In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pics of my new babies!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, how sweet! Yup, you're hooked!

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Songster

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Dont forget to thank your son! And [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for your good hatch!

7. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Let the addiction begin!!! [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    We promise not to tell anyone about your love affair.....bless your heart!

9. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Aw awesome! haha [​IMG] Sounds like me, I brought home some chicken eggs to hatch and my family didn't seem to sure about this. They hatched and everyone was like [​IMG]. Now they love my chickens!

[​IMG] When are you getting more? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by