My Lovely Lady is Making a Sad low Pitched Sound...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennioriginals, Aug 23, 2016.

1. jennioriginals

jennioriginals Just Hatched

May 16, 2016
    Joplin, Mo
    Hello, Well, I just went out to my coops at dusk to put the little ones back in with the big girls (Peatree needed some time away & TLC due to bobo’s on his feet & Lacy went along with him), any ways, one of the reds was out of the coop. Normally, she is right next to her sisters on the tall perch at dusk, but she was in the run making a low sad whining sound (sounded just like a puppy having a bad dream), and she was acting like she was lost or did not know what to do. This is not like her at all; however, she has started squatting and just about ready to start laying. So, I put her in a nest box, because I could not reach where she normally roosts. Can big girls make this noise when they are getting ready to start laying? I would think that she was being sad about the little ones being in a different coop, but to the best of my knowledge, none of the big girls have claimed them yet. So… needless to say, I am a tad bit confused and worried. She was acting just fine when I went out to visit with them a few hours ago. Any thoughts on this?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    From the sound you are describing, the best communication sound I can match it to, is the chicken warning sound. This sounds kind of like a low, rattling/purring sound. My girls make this sound when they spot something they think is a threat.

I might be totally off as to if this is the same sound YOUR hen is making, but it's the only thing I can come up with.[​IMG] As long as she is acting fine, there's nothing to worry about.[​IMG]

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I agree, sounds like a warning sound they make when they dont like something. It can sound kinda weird the first time you hear it.
    Like noted, as long as she is otherwise acting normal no worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by