My Lucy didn't make it. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeachygirlGA, Mar 1, 2014.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Yesterday she wouldn't eat, had a poopy butt and was very lethargic. I never could get to her to check and see if she was egg bound. When I let them out of the cage to roam she hid in the thorn bushes. When I checked on her last night she had gone into the coop and was standing beside the roost. This morning I noticed she had not come outside and found her. I'm very sad this morning but also worried about my other hens. What if she was sick and the sickness spreads? How can I find out or try and prevent this from happening to the other hens? This is the first hen I have lost in 3 years of raising chickens. Never have had one sick either.

2. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Was hoping for some kind of reply. I just buried my sweet Lucy and before I did i checked for an egg. There was no egg that I could feel so I'm assuming she was not egg bound. Just some clear fluid came out. I did see her drool a little yesterday and she was drinking water on and off but not eating. I only noticed yesterday the lethargy but I do remember last week seeing the poopy butt and wondering what was going on. She was running across the yard when I saw her and was eating fine so I didn't think much about it. Any ideas what this could have been? I have been checking the poop in the coop and haven't seen any worms and didn't see any coming out of her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's sometimes hard to tell why a chicken has died. A necropsy by your state vet is the best way to find out. Many people do their own necropsy or chicken autopsy at home to check for internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or a reproductive cancer. Liver disease and heart defects can cause fluid in the belly. Crop problems (impacted or sour) or a gizzard problem can kill. Vent gleet can be a symptom of a fungal infection, and can be associated with sour crop. There are many online instructions on how to do a chicken necropsy, and posting pictures here will usually get opinions. Sorry for your loss.

4. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Thanks for your reply. I've already buried her, but wouldn't know where to take for autopsy anyway. I'll just be on the lookout for similar symptoms with my other chickens. Hopefully it was not contageous.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,very heartbreaking when one of our pets die.

If she was not egg bound,then my guess would be a crop issue.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  6. marndan444

marndan444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    I am so sorry! We just lost one to and it is so sad... They are so kind and sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by