My Lulu keeps laying blood spot eggs-- is she sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ellieuki, Nov 19, 2014.

1. ellieuki

ellieuki Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I'm very worried about my LuLu, Her last few eggs have had blood spots and yesterdays egg had a meat spot. I've never seen one until today. I haven't collected her egg today so I'm not sure what it looks like today. She's a crested pekin, about a year and a half, and been laying consistently since she was 5 or 6 months old. She's had a couple eggs with spots before but not back to back before.
    She eats All Flock - has unlimited supply of organic and normal grocery greens(lettuce, romaine, dandelion greens, chard, kale, etc) - fresh crickets from the Pet store.
    Should I take her to the vet?
    Thanks!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

You can check out blood spots in this link. It’s written more for people keeping the chickens commercially so some of those things really won’t apply to you.

If she has been doing this off and on, she is a bird that is inclined to lay eggs with blood spots. It’s probably just a coincidence that you got a couple in a row, though maybe there is some other explanation you will see from the possible causes, especially lights or disturbances. In my opinion it is almost certainly genetic, just the way she is. I would not hatch any eggs from her and perpetuate that in my flock.

I think you would be wasting your time and money taking her to a vet but it is your time and money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by