1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Magellan Geese

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by destinduck, Feb 27, 2012.

1. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG]One half of their 20x20 pen[​IMG] Pic of white male and other half of pen[​IMG]

2. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG][​IMG]Brown female and the pair near a breeding barrel and I made open nest to the left of barrel

3. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    They look good.

4. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Hey destin i love your geese. How are they to raise and breed and also what are their requirements. Oh i wanted to tell you im going on a cruise to alaska in june maybe i can bring back some harlequin ducks. Haha we both wish:p

5. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thanks. The raising part is fairly easy. Im working on the breeding part finally. This year hopefully.LOL! Before I got my birds I gathered as much information I could get from the internet first as I do with all new birds I have never kept. There is not very much really to be had there for magellans . Then I talk to the person I bought them from all about them. I have had them 2 years And they are now 3 years old.They are much like most geese as in they love to graze. Although you will notice there is only sand in my avairies. I feed them fresh greens everyday. This consist of mainly ryegrass but they also get cabbage, collards,.clover and romain lettuce. They also get with this 16% chicken layer pellets .A coupla weeks ago I bumped up the protien with Mazuri waterfowl breeder and that is their only bag feed they are on now. This has worked well for me when I had barnacles, canadian sub-species, and domestics for care and breeding. I was also told by 3 people that have raised magellans for years this is fine and should suffice. I too am learning as much as I can. Only now at this point the only people I feel I can learn from are people who have had actual breeding success with these beautiful birds. Matter of fact that is one of the reasons for this post. Im honored to be a BYC educator but Im a student now. I always become a student again whenever I take on new birds I have never kept. [​IMG] .And for those who have been victorious in breeding these beautiful shelgeese. By all means please go into great detail about how you kept them and achieved this final success. I know I love everything about em so far even if i dont hear the pitter-patter of gosling feet!!!!!

6. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Good luck with the Mags they look good. As far as learning raising the wild waterfowl is always a learning experience my father has been raising pheasants and waterfowl for 40 years he is 81 and still keeps12 species of the waterfowl and still says he is still learning. I think thats what makes this hobby as enjoyable as it is.

7. suzysducks

suzysducks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Your set up for the Magellan geese looks very nice [​IMG]

8. Mark HSV-AL

Mark HSV-AL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Shawn, you should have sold me those birds when I was down there last summer!
    The shelducks I bought are doing great though.
    Mark

9. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Why mark? you would have just sold them to me lol :)

Good Luck Shawn.. I hope you have some so I can get a pair from you or ar least a gander (male)

10. destinduck

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Amen waterdog!!! Thanks all. Yall know me. If someone comes here and needs a bird bad enough I sometimes break down and sell it. Note the key word is sometimes LOL! I must also thank Kansaskid for finding these birds for me. Really what it is these birds kinda stole my heart from the get go. I really love these guys! Im glad the shelducks are doing good for you Mark. I have a friend a coupla hours away that just got some Australians last month. You know you get first dibs in the fall if it happens Karen like I promised. Then you can share with Mark Ha!Ha! I do know regardless Im not gonna double clutch their first time. I always like to watch the whole show the first go around as some of you already know. I really wish they would have already layed by now. But none of my birds lay till the middle of March any way and alot lay in April- May.Its always been this way for me for some strange reason. I gotta look back but I think the baikals even layed in mid-July.I will definitely keep everyone updated on their progress. They are also called Upland Geese for those wanting to research them on the internet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by