My Makeshift Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SamanthaBrooke, Feb 3, 2013.

1. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Its about 3-4 foot long, doesn't look that big but I did measure it haha, and a giant Tractor Supply brooder light, I'm so excited for the chicks arrival on Thursday or Friday, please cross your fingers that all 30 make it here a live and healthy!!! they are connected with a massive amount of tape, never can have enough :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That will work well at fist, but 30 chicks are going to outgrow that brooder very quickly! Ideally you should aim for 1 sqf per chick, minimum, if they're going to spent 5-6 weeks in the brooder.

I'd also suggest you position the light a bit higher, so it's not so close to the cardboard, just in case. They give off quite a lot of heat and it would be tragic if it sets the box on fire.

Enjoy your chicks!

3. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Oh yah, that's just temporary!! I did change the light and put it on a large lamp post clamped and hung to the ceiling, I let it run for an hour and the temps true was too low, I need to tinker with it some more! It was suggested on a different website that for the first 4 weeks bantams be kept in smaller surrounding as they can get 'lost' not sure how true that is but I'm not taking an risks!

Thank you for looking in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by